Third Party Press

Thread: Deciphering Imperial German Army Rifle Numbering

Brisbane - the middle of right edge of Oz

Default Deciphering Imperial German Army Rifle Numbering

G'Day All,

I'm a bit of a novice Mauser collector and student. Bulk of my history lies on the other side, with Lee Enfields, US Enfields and Springfields. So forgive me for the slow uptake in broadening my knowledge to the German armoury.

I've recently acquired a Gew 98 after many years of chasing a goo done. This isn't a good one, but it was obtainable and in Oz that's pretty much good enough...

I'm trying to determine the one time owners of this specimen. The butt disc is marked:

IMG_1296_edited.jpg

I'm thinking from my rudimentary research that it's the 58th Regiment, (3rd Posen). I'm also guessing that it belonged to the 8th Company of the 2nd Battalion. I'm guessing it was Rack number 23 for the 8th Coy's armoury.

I'm probably a mile off, but it's a start.

Are you able to help me understand this a little better with your deeper knowledge?

Thank you.
    Mausers in collection: Spandau 1900 Gew 98, Verguiro M1904/39 8mm, Kar 98k "42" 40, Kar 98k bnz 43, Israeli Kar98k dou 43 7.62 NATO

Quote Originally Posted by pacrane View Post

I'm thinking from my rudimentary research that it's the 58th Regiment, (3rd Posen). I'm also guessing that it belonged to the 8th Company of the 2nd Battalion.
    You were really close, it's Infantry Regt. Nr. 58, 8th company, weapon # 28.

Unfortunately, we can't trace weapons to specific soldiers. Would you mind sharing the full spread of pics? Unit marked Gew98s are rather uncommon, especially is the rifle is matching, or mostly matching.

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by chrisftk View Post
    You were really close, it's Infantry Regt. Nr. 58, 8th company, weapon # 28.

Unfortunately, we can't trace weapons to specific soldiers. Would you mind sharing the full spread of pics? Unit marked Gew98s are rather uncommon, especially is the rifle is matching, or mostly matching.

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    G'Day christftk,

Thanks for that confirmation, and yes, missed it by that much as Maxwell Smart would say.

No one with any appreciation of Service rifles would genuinely ask for personal issue details of a rifle or bayonet. Would they...?

I'll see if I can mange a little collage of the rifle. It's far from matching. Bought on an online auction and received a little surprise when I collected it from the dealer. The description and the item seemed to part company earlier on than the Auction preparation...

Oh, somehow I managed an unhappy smiley for the post title. Should not be there, please disregard...
    Last edited by pacrane; 01-18-2021 at 10:28 PM.
    Mausers in collection: Spandau 1900 Gew 98, Verguiro M1904/39 8mm, Kar 98k "42" 40, Kar 98k bnz 43, Israeli Kar98k dou 43 7.62 NATO

Default Spandau 1900 Gew 98

[IMG]https://www.k98kforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=257638&d=1611022465[IMG]

Well, there it is. Been waiting about 5 years to find one and beggars can't be choosers... I quite like it, despite it's various inadequacies. Its used...

Now here's a question you good, knowledgeable folk might be able to help with. Being a Lee Enfield man, I am new to the rollercoaster rear sight ramp and leaf. I notice that I cannot lower the leaf below 500m. The running track in the top of the curve seems to finish short of where the slider would need to go to lower the leaf further.

I've not spent long enough figuring it out, but wonder the following

1. Is the slider on backwards, therefore preventing it from lowering the leaf?
    2. Does the slider need to be disengaged from the track to lower the leaf below 500?

This sounds like a good education session coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by pacrane View Post
    . . . .Is the slider on backwards, therefore preventing it from lowering the leaf? . . . .
    Yes . . .

My G98 had it’s “slider“ backwards also . . .with the same problem as yours . . . .

Remove the leaf pivot pin, slide leaf out to rear, slide the “slider” off, reverse it, then install everything as before.
    Last edited by JimF; 01-19-2021 at 12:03 PM.

JimF,

Excellent, as much as I suspected. Thank you.

Iíve been a little confused by some photos Iíve found, but what you suggest makes sense.

Appreciate your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    My G98 had itís ďsliderď backwards also . . .with the same problem as yours . . . .
    Due to my limited english skills, I'm not sure what you mean with "slider backwards". I can't spot any problem with the original 200m rear sight.

@pacrane: are there any traces that the unit disc was flipped?

From the maker/year, the rifle would nicely fit into known colonial rifles.
    https://www.k98kforum.com/showthread...olonial-forces

Does the stock match the receiver?

Thanks

The front sight looks chrome plated. Can you confirm?

I'm not sure what you mean with "slider backwards". I can't spot any problem with the original 200m rear sight.

Well, the slider in my terminology is that part of the moving sight that elevates the leaf. As shown, the lowest elevation is 500m not 400m. The 200m lower elevation (for the newer spitzer bullet) needed a different leaf arrangement to this original set up, to the best of my knowledge. I may be wrong, happy to hear more detailed information that I've not yet had access to.

@pacrane: are there any traces that the unit disc was flipped?

A good question, but I haven't yet pulled the rifle apart. That will be in a few weeks.

From the maker/year, the rifle would nicely fit into known colonial rifles.
    https://www.k98kforum.com/showthread...olonial-forces

Excellent, thank you. If I have credible information I'd be happy to share it with that project.

Does the stock match the receiver?

Sadly, no it's what we call a 'Bitzer' in Australia. (Bits of this, bits of that...) The matching components are the barrel, sight and receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Amberg View Post
    The front sight looks chrome plated. Can you confirm?
    No, it's been painted it seems.

I have read in sources that some had luminous paint on the foresight blade to allow night firing. I don't know the details of this procedure yet so I can't confirm or reject that possibility.