Third Party Press

Thread: Deciphering Imperial German Army Rifle Numbering

Brisbane - the middle of right edge of Oz

Default Deciphering Imperial German Army Rifle Numbering

G'Day All,

I'm a bit of a novice Mauser collector and student. Bulk of my history lies on the other side, with Lee Enfields, US Enfields and Springfields. So forgive me for the slow uptake in broadening my knowledge to the German armoury.

I've recently acquired a Gew 98 after many years of chasing a goo done. This isn't a good one, but it was obtainable and in Oz that's pretty much good enough...

I'm trying to determine the one time owners of this specimen. The butt disc is marked:

IMG_1296_edited.jpg

I'm thinking from my rudimentary research that it's the 58th Regiment, (3rd Posen). I'm also guessing that it belonged to the 8th Company of the 2nd Battalion. I'm guessing it was Rack number 23 for the 8th Coy's armoury.

I'm probably a mile off, but it's a start.

Are you able to help me understand this a little better with your deeper knowledge?

Thank you.
    Mausers in collection: Spandau 1900 Gew 98, Verguiro M1904/39 8mm, Kar 98k "42" 40, Kar 98k bnz 43, Israeli Kar98k dou 43 7.62 NATO

Quote Originally Posted by pacrane View Post

I'm thinking from my rudimentary research that it's the 58th Regiment, (3rd Posen). I'm also guessing that it belonged to the 8th Company of the 2nd Battalion.
    You were really close, it's Infantry Regt. Nr. 58, 8th company, weapon # 28.

Unfortunately, we can't trace weapons to specific soldiers. Would you mind sharing the full spread of pics? Unit marked Gew98s are rather uncommon, especially is the rifle is matching, or mostly matching.

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk