Third Party Press

This noob wore-out the search function... mysterious 1940 hunter?

Okiewan

Please forgive my noobness. I've searched the entire internet (yes, I saw the turn around sign). Seriously, I've got a bunch of hours trying to identify this rifle, left to me by my father (RIP), who got it from his. I'm a big fan of WWI and II small arms and have a few (Springfield 1903, Garand, M1 Carbine and a force matched RC '98)

Rather than spelling all this out, I took a pics of every marking on the weapon I could find. If any other pics would help, please let me know, I'll be watching this thread closely. It appears to be matching, stock is after market. Bore is very good. Can I assume the engraving was post war? I have no idea if Mauser did / was doing that at the factory.

In case some of the markings are visible:

1) On the bolt: 655, p on the handle
2) 06 marked on extractor
3) WaA655
4) locking screw (??) "06" , can't tell for sure what the other marks are, but looks like 3 upside-down question marks? Screw behind trigger guard also marked 06.

Not sure where to find the barrel marks, haven't disassembled it.

I'd REALLY appreciate any info you can provide, or get me pointed in the right direction. Without knowing all the 98 lingo, it's pretty intense trying to nail one of these down. Thank you in advance!

IMG_0138.JPEG

IMG_0139.JPEG

IMG_0141.JPEG

IMG_0143.JPEG

IMG_0147.JPEG

IMG_0148.jpeg

IMG_0149.JPEG

IMG_0151.jpeg

Last edited:
This is basically a sporterized German military K98k action. The barrel is original but was recontoured. The rifle then was engraved. From looking at the engraving it was quite skilled as well, so not one of the cheap DIY conversions. However, someone once then decided to equip the rifle with a scope, the action was badly drilled and a commercial scope mount added. Based on the fact that the engravings try to leave out the original markings I tend to think that when the scope mount was added the bolt handle was also cut off and rewelded, as well as a different safety mounted.

I think there was a peep sight on the rear of the receiver, it doesn't need two holes for the scope base (though that then would be right in the middle of the engravings?! A bit weird). Also it is missing a front sight. Maybe the front end of the barrel with the front sight was cut off when the scope mount was added, one would need to measure the length. Any chances to show pictures of the receiver ring with the scope base removed?

It originally was a Mauser manufactured rifle, others will know better but I would guess 1941 maybe?

Mauser oberndorf k98k produced in the year 1940. The "42" code on top denotes the maker. Which is the mauser oberndorf factory. Im sad to see what was probably a nice original rifle be sporterized. But this is an extremely well done piece.

John

It originally was a Mauser manufactured rifle, others will know better but I would guess 1941 maybe?

I thought the same, but by the time I was getting ready to comment all the pictures loaded in. Which shows the top of the receiver. We were close! Haha.

John.

Also it is missing a front sight. Maybe the front end of the barrel with the front sight was cut off when the scope mount was added, one would need to measure the length.

First of all, thanks for the reply! There is a smooth hole where the front sight would be.

bnz41john
No doubt the scope mounting was a sad sight to see when I first took it out of the case. I guess it got the job done for my grandfather who was an avid hunter. I recall my father talking about him getting this "shortly after WWII" but that's all I know of it. I'm guessing even good copies were a dime a dozen at the time (?) so butchering one up wasn't a big deal.

Is it unusual to find something like this without import marks? Or.. were the marks possibly removed when the barrel was recontoured?

I thought the same, but by the time I was getting ready to comment all the pictures loaded in. Which shows the top of the receiver. We were close! Haha.

John.

Sorry about the pics ... typo'd a couple of them initially :(

Thanks for the reply.

First of all, thanks for the reply! There is a smooth hole where the front sight would be.

bnz41john
No doubt the scope mounting was a sad sight to see when I first took it out of the case. I guess it got the job done for my grandfather who was an avid hunter. I recall my father talking about him getting this "shortly after WWII" but that's all I know of it. I'm guessing even good copies were a dime a dozen at the time (?) so butchering one up wasn't a big deal.

Is it unusual to find something like this without import marks? Or.. were the marks possibly removed when the barrel was recontoured?

Import marks were not required until the 1960s. If he got it anytime in the 1940s or 1950s or even early 60s it wouldnt have a import mark. Granted the amount of work thats been done to this rifle, if it did have a import mark it could have easily been removed or covered up. Yes these rifles sold for extremely cheap right after the war. Regardless of variant or rarity, as that wasnt much known about until years later. Many, many, many were sporterized. But very rarely are they ever done to this degree. Though its tough to see as a collector, its still a nice rifle. One you should enjoy and cherish for many years to come.

John.

I wonder based on the quality of the engraving and woodwork if this was a 'cigarette gun' made just after the war? Looks to me like the scope mount was maybe a later add? It is kind of interesting how he worked around the markings.

Import marks were not required until the 1960s. If he got it anytime in the 1940s or 1950s or even early 60s it wouldnt have a import mark.
John.
That's a possible answer then, it's my understanding that he picked it up right after returning home. Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

I'll openly admit, based on my ignorance of 98's and Mauser in general, I was hoping it was a factory produced hunting set-up or something of the like. The engraving is incredibly detailed / professional and everything matches, less the stock. On the other hand, there is no way the scope mount holes were factory, I assumed that was done by some hack along the way.

As it is, I'll probably list it somewhere, I really don't have room for another rifle and have several others from them (father/grand father). I'd really like to get a hold of a nice, un-modified 98, and would need to unload a couple other misc. rifles to make room for.

Any one care to guess a reasonable selling price?

That's a possible answer then, it's my understanding that he picked it up right after returning home. Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

I'll openly admit, based on my ignorance of 98's and Mauser in general, I was hoping it was a factory produced hunting set-up or something of the like. The engraving is incredibly detailed / professional and everything matches, less the stock. On the other hand, there is no way the scope mount holes were factory, I assumed that was done by some hack along the way.

As it is, I'll probably list it somewhere, I really don't have room for another rifle and have several others from them (father/grand father). I'd really like to get a hold of a nice, un-modified 98, and would need to unload a couple other misc. rifles to make room for.

Any one care to guess a reasonable selling price?

I understand. Someone on this forum would probably love to have it. I think a guy in the trader section is even searching for high quality sporters. I agree that it seems the scope was added later on. Im not quite sure what something like this would bring.

John.

That’s a very cool sporter in my opinion. It’s ruined for a collectible 98k but still very nice as a hunting rifle

Now seeing them - yes, we were close.

To get back to the rifle: I'm still scratching my head to where the rear sight originally would had been. all four holes (two on the receiver ring, two on the receiver bridge) appear to be a result of the scope mount base, despite the scope mount base only uses three of them. The reason why I think this way is the fact that the two at the rear are within the engraving, and given the quality and level of the engraving whoever did it surely would NOT had engraved if there was to be a threaded hole to be made. I had wondered if maybe there were holes in the side of the receiver which are currently covered by the stock?

Secondly, I do NOT think this is a cigarette rifle. The reason for this is that if it were engraved in Europe ALL of the Waffenamt-stamps as well as the original military designations would had been removed. This makes me very confident the rifle is a bring-back from WWII that someone had sportered at high level in the US.

If this was my rifle I'd do a few things and then leave it as is. I'd get the holes for the scope base on the receiver laser welded, at least the two on the receiver ring. Then I'd re-mount a period fitting front sight and search for a possibility to find a period correct rear sight and therefore get the rifle as close back as possible to when it was the first time sportered. This should be possible and better than it is now.

It looks drilled for Redfield or Weaver 2 piece mounts and has a Burris single piece mount installed. Find a vintage set of Redfield mounts and scope rigs for it. A good gunsmith probably has a box of them. At least find quality mounts to fit the holes. Don’t throw a bunch of money at it, you can buy the old stuff cheap and it will increase the value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back