Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This noob wore-out the search function... mysterious 1940 hunter?

Thatís a very cool sporter in my opinion. Itís ruined for a collectible 98k but still very nice as a hunting rifle
    Looking for 10" cleaning rod, early style e/214 #91, nazi style e/26 #04

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAR View Post
    Thatís a very cool sporter in my opinion. Itís ruined for a collectible 98k but still very nice as a hunting rifle
    Thanks for the reply. I keep trying to justify keeping it.

Quote Originally Posted by bnz41john View Post
    I thought the same, but by the time I was getting ready to comment all the pictures loaded in. Which shows the top of the receiver. We were close! Haha.
    Now seeing them - yes, we were close.

To get back to the rifle: I'm still scratching my head to where the rear sight originally would had been. all four holes (two on the receiver ring, two on the receiver bridge) appear to be a result of the scope mount base, despite the scope mount base only uses three of them. The reason why I think this way is the fact that the two at the rear are within the engraving, and given the quality and level of the engraving whoever did it surely would NOT had engraved if there was to be a threaded hole to be made. I had wondered if maybe there were holes in the side of the receiver which are currently covered by the stock?

Secondly, I do NOT think this is a cigarette rifle. The reason for this is that if it were engraved in Europe ALL of the Waffenamt-stamps as well as the original military designations would had been removed. This makes me very confident the rifle is a bring-back from WWII that someone had sportered at high level in the US.

If this was my rifle I'd do a few things and then leave it as is. I'd get the holes for the scope base on the receiver laser welded, at least the two on the receiver ring. Then I'd re-mount a period fitting front sight and search for a possibility to find a period correct rear sight and therefore get the rifle as close back as possible to when it was the first time sportered. This should be possible and better than it is now.

Default This noob wore-out the search function... mysterious 1940 hunter?

It looks drilled for Redfield or Weaver 2 piece mounts and has a Burris single piece mount installed. Find a vintage set of Redfield mounts and scope rigs for it. A good gunsmith probably has a box of them. At least find quality mounts to fit the holes. Donít throw a bunch of money at it, you can buy the old stuff cheap and it will increase the value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.
    不要支持中国人用假投票推着我们的假总统。