Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G40k pics

Fingers crossed on their disposition. There were recently several cut up 98k receivers for sale that were stated to have come from Aberdeen.

Does anyone know what this is:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looking for commercials

Is that a scope you have in your pocket? Dave Roberts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nulle100 View Post
    If you guys get the chance to visit the arms museum, do so, its awesome. Call ahead and make an appointment to see something specific, like the G40k, and you can get in the vault. I saw all manner of rare weapons in there. Long barrel G43, short barrel, 8mm kurz, Mkb42 and Stg45, etc. They have a dozen needle guns of every variety. What you see in the museum display is a fraction of what they hold in the vault.
    I see a BMJ scoped Turret Sniper in the middle photo .

By the way who is the big guy with you? I remember seeing him on the Military channel on many different shows that I watched when I was kid in high school. I wonder if he still works at the museum.

Great pictures by the way and thanks for sharing.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Thats Dr, Atwater, the museum curator at the time. He's been on the History Channel, etc. and I'm sure you've seen him. I looked up the museum and found the phone number, called it to inquire about an appointment and he was the one answering the phone. Pretty funny moment when I realized thats who I was talking to. The guy is extremely knowledgeable but I think he could also have been equally successful doing stand up comedy. The guy was very entertaining, welcoming and pretty damn funny when he felt like it.
    Here he is in the vault: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVst8sIPgV0

I live relatively close to Ft. Lee, I know they moved some stuff there from Aberdeen, but what???... if we can find out what I'll go down there and scout it out...

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Fingers crossed on their disposition. There were recently several cut up 98k receivers for sale that were stated to have come from Aberdeen.

Does anyone know what this is:
    Interesting question... at first glance the grip reminds me of a vz58...

I followed up with the museum at FT Lee, no contact. Most of the email addresses on their site are bad, phone numbers are bad, etc. The email address that did work was never answered. Seems to be a case of the Army took over the collection and uses it for "training" with little interest in anything else for now. I can't get any traction from a distance, so next time I'm there for a conference, class or passing through I'll stop by in person.

I visited the museum back in the early 80s, with a military modeler friend who was primarily interested in the armor. The small arms displays were exceptional, although you really had to check every nook and cranny of the building. For instance, the Jap sword that had been permanently mated to a baby Nambu was laying in a corner near the entrance!

They also had one of those little Chicom 107mm 12-tube rocket launchers (the type number presently escapes me), on it's original wheeled mount, and the thing was literally in "new in wrapper" condition. No placard or velvet ropes, it was just sitting on the carpet right next to an open door. I remember thinking how easy it would be to wheel that thing out to my truck and throw it in the bed...

I wish I had known about the "unseen" collection, as I would've certainly made an appointment to view it and take photos. Now all that iron has apparently vanished into the system, and I only hope the majority of it was spoken for before it fell victim to Slick Willie's chop saws.

What gives them the right? It was We The People who paid the price in blood and treasure to capture that stuff and lug it stateside. The least the government could do is care for it and display it, so posterity could make use of it.

Richie

It was moved to save money, but the choice of location sucks. FT Lee is a small post and its got that 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag issue, always did. I'm guessing the intent was to open it to the public, but along the way the Post Cdr got involved and said I don't want a security issue with public access to my post.
    I don't expect the Army will have surplus funds over the next four years to devote to museums.

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default V40k disposition

To all who have tried to find the elusive G40k we appreciate it.
    Maybe someday we can finally locate it and get a full fresh image study.

I would dread the thought of that rifle and others getting sent to the scrap pile.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----