Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posen depot duv41 K98k

Default Posen depot duv41 K98k

I posted a thread discussing this rifle back in the fall of last year. Well I ended up attending the last ogca show a few weekends ago this month and my buddy had it back in his gun rack again. Right next to a really cool depot mark Dutch carbine with muzzle cover. Truly he has some really cool stuff no telling what he might have. Anyway after looking it over again I noticed a couple more interesting things, especially when your a parts nut like me you really tend to notice lol. Some times looking over something twice can really help seal the deal in the end. So after some talking with my buddy we finally made the deal and I came home with it. And boy is this a neat one there are so many different parts from so many different makers it's unreal.

From an armorers supplied stock by Mauser, a FN subcontracted bolt body, an early dated 1939 subcontracted barrel to Gustloff, bolt extractor from Ingolstadt, JPS safety, Czech bolt striker, Imperial era follower used three times, Imperial sear, BSW rear sight base and trigger-guard screw, other subcontracted makers for Gustloff, Erma rear sight components, Mauser Borsigwalde front barrel band stamped twice, BLM receiver and other BLM supplied parts, and so many more. There is just so many to list!

From what I could tell almost everything on this rifle is matching besides a few unmarked parts such as a trigger guard screw, hand guard, bayonet lug, etc.

Still I think I made the right choice and glad I did it's about time I added another K98k to the collection been too long! Also he's wanting to hook me up with more stuff in the future so no telling what I may end up coming home with!

Enjoy guys and if there is something specific you would like to see please let me know. Also it was good running into a few fellow forum members at the show too might have been Brian that helped persuade me on this rifle haha!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Warrior1354; 01-18-2021 at 11:40 PM.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

More pictures:

Last ones:

I tried to show the best close up pictures of the depot markings. There is a very faint marking on the underside area of the stock tired to get a close up the best I could. Might have to get a magnifying glass to show it better.

Nice depot K98k
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Excellent. Well photographed. I'm assuming the floorplate was not part of the original build as it is stamped? Just a super clean example to be sure.

Very nice Jordan, odd how you, Chris and myself get posen builds within a short span.

Default marks on barrel

in pic 14 of 20 in the 1st post, there are 2 e/13s, a sun/starburst, then another e/13 shown at the base of the barrel. What does that sequence “mean”? (I have a bcd 43 w/similar markings)

I’ve read that the starburst represents a rejection, but for what aspect, as it was accepted subsequently? In
    my case, the starburst mark is bordered on top & left side, almost like the edges of a shield; but not, to my eyes, the edge of the stamp. I’ve struggled to get a decent photo of the feature, so far w/out success.
    Munchener 1953

I think the story being told in post #1, pic 14 is that there were normally three barrel inspection stamps. The barrel passed the first two inspections, and was rejected and sent back for more work, type and scope unknown. The rejection stamp is in place of the third WaA stemple. The barrel subsequently passed the third inspection and was built into a rifle. So, at least four inspections, with one rejection. Nice rifle!
    Wanted: K98 Dou-42 bolt 5235b, and Port. bayonet G19383

Very Cool rifle with a lot to study there. Enjoy it!
    I no longer listen to what people say, I just watch what they do. Behavior never lies. - Winston Churchill

Default Posen Depot duv 41

That one is a real "looker"....nicely marked from all the different manufacturers supplied parts.
    Great pictures too. Thanks for posting this.
    Bob32268