Third Party Press

The Needle in the Haystack: S/42 from 1936

Absolut

The "needle in the haystack" really applies to this rifle - because it was found in a haystack last year! After so many years of buying rifles that came from farmers and out of the woodwork I finally was able to find one that was found very close to my home: only 10 km away. The neighbor of an employee of mine rebuild the house and removed the hay that was still in there from former decades. And to his huge surprise he did not only find a rifle, but it also came with a bayonet and a canvas bag of ammo. It took nearly half a year to get to see the rifle, but it only took a few minutes with waving with money to get the rifle!

I'll be cleaning it, but to show off how a rifle looks like after it had spent so much time under hay, I thought it would be good to post it for reference. Note the extreme contrast especially with the bayonet blade. I can however give a small teaser: I've already disassembled it today and under the wood the metal of the rifle indeed is identically nice to the bayonet. The outside metal also turns out quite nice, but will need lots of love and time to get better. Fortunately it still had the rubber muzzle cap on it, the barrel is extremely nice.

Another huge surprise for me were the stock stamps. This rifle never got sanded - but the stamps turned into a really dark color whereas the rest of the stock got very light. When oiled it surely will look like it once got cleaned, despite it never got cleaned. Only clue to that are the super crisp and deep stock stamps.

From a short glance into Vol. I it seemed it has one oddity: the stock acceptance already has the Nazi Eagle on it what Mike and Bruce list as introduced in 1937. Maybe they can share a thought on this one. If not visible in the pictures, it is a 1936 g-Block rifle.

Finally two things to point out: the bayonet is mismatching to the scabbard (interesting to see it came this way), secondly the ammo found with the rifle seems to be mainly pre 1939 made, only the steel cases are later. Some might even be Weimar made rounds. Still need to clean up the ammo as well and see if there is anything of interest among it.

Attachments

• S42-1936_01.jpg
    S42-1936_01.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 149
  • S42-1936_02.jpg
    S42-1936_02.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 171
  • S42-1936_03.jpg
    S42-1936_03.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 165
  • S42-1936_04.jpg
    S42-1936_04.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 221
  • S42-1936_05.jpg
    S42-1936_05.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 178
  • S42-1936_06.jpg
    S42-1936_06.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 229
  • S42-1936_07.jpg
    S42-1936_07.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 203
  • S42-1936_08.jpg
    S42-1936_08.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 162
  • S42-1936_09.jpg
    S42-1936_09.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 156
  • S42-1936_10.jpg
    S42-1936_10.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 198
Great find!

Always amazing what one may find in one’s ‘back yard’ , nice patience as well!
Did someone set it nearby, & surrender? Or just hide it & disappear?

I would leave the stock alone, looks like sunlight faded the finish

I would soak all the metal in your favorite oil ( or Kroil) for at least a week then with a stiff plastic or wooden popsicle stick I would gently remove the little rust, not much you can do with the heavy rust even with bronze wool ( no steel wool)

nice find

Wow neat barn find! Very cool.

My '36 S/42 k block has the same mix of weimar/nazi eagles stock cartouches as well.

I’ll be the heretic here and say I’d clean that thing right up - stock and all. Don’t see the historical value of corroded metal and a dry-rotting stock. But that’s me and not why I’m posting.

Based on the story behind it that most are presuming I’m curious why it wasn’t found with a sling?

S/42 1936 find

Wow ! Great find, and to find so close to your home. Where do you live by the way ? I'm sure it's in Europe as you give the distance from your home to the find in Kilometers.
I've always wondered about the history of my K98's that I've had; what country did they serve in ? How did they get into the USA (Vet find or early import). Thanks so mch
for posting and pics. I hope this rifle cleans up very nice, please show some pics as you make progress with it.
Tks,
Bob32268

How nice it'd be to stumble across something like that! Honestly, all things considered, it doesn't look that bad!

What an awesome find. Bayo, rifle, and the ammo! I see some german tracer rounds mixed in there. Such an interesting eclectic grouping of 8mm.

Glad to see this one getting "saved"

John

I’d clean that thing right up - stock and all. Don’t see the historical value of corroded metal and a dry-rotting stock.

Absolutely. Value used to be judged by the percentage of original finish remaining. As I see it, oxidation and neglect add nothing.

Another huge surprise for me were the stock stamps. This rifle never got sanded - but the stamps turned into a really dark color whereas the rest of the stock got very light. When oiled it surely will look like it once got cleaned, despite it never got cleaned. Only clue to that are the super crisp and deep stock stamps.

What cleaning method do you plan to use? I am especially curious regarding the stock.

Nice find, by the way. Congratulations. 👍🏻

Did someone set it nearby, & surrender? Or just hide it & disappear?
I asked that myself. But basically there will not be an answer to this. If a soldier hid in this building in the last days of war (because the location really were the last days of war; must had been 30th April 1945 or within the week before that), or if a farmer found the rifle and hide it away from occupation forces, impossible to tell. Another closeby living friend still has a sniper rifle that was hidden in their guest room (they had an inn) by a German soldier behind the closet. It therefore could be either way.

Amazing find! Definitely post some pics after cleaning. Which method will you use on the rust?
Taking apart was quite an adventure. The screws went off, only the front trigger guard screw was really tight. Proper tools of fitting sizes and high quality are obligatory to not damage anything. The toughest part however was to get off the barrel bands, they were sitting really tight. I'm basically soaking the metal parts in oil and then carefully brushing off the rust, that leaves the blueing it still has on the parts but removes all rust.

I would leave the stock alone, looks like sunlight faded the finish
Don't worry, nothing planned on the stock! It will be stained and oiled, no material will be removed!

I’ll be the heretic here and say I’d clean that thing right up - stock and all. Don’t see the historical value of corroded metal and a dry-rotting stock. But that’s me and not why I’m posting.

Based on the story behind it that most are presuming I’m curious why it wasn’t found with a sling?
You'll be as amazed as I was when cleaning off some parts yesterday evening - but I'll let pictures speak when I get to finish it. Re the sling, I had asked that myself. It could well had been it had a sling when found and it just fell off, because he also told me the ammo was in a canvas bag that mice had taken apart, so who knows on the sling. On the other hand, the bayonet scabbard is fully intact and there are no traces on the barrel band of a sling ... so to my best guess: it doesn't have much traces of a former sling, so I think it was put aside without a sling.

I'm basically soaking the metal parts in oil and then carefully brushing off the rust, that leaves the blueing it still has on the parts but removes all rust.

A 50:50 mix of ATF and Acetone and a not too stiff brush is great for restoring the finish of metal in that state.

Please keep us filled in as you make progress. This is such an amazing find I also think that stock will look very good once it's wiped down in good shape. The fading will help tell the story. That said I love “original” no matter what time has done to a rifle.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back