Third Party Press

Inherited (found) 1936 Mod. 98

Hi folks. This is my first post. I just inherited a 1936 J.P. Sauer & Sohn S/147 1936 Mod.98. I think my father wound up with it and he had a vague story of one of his cousins bringing it back. From where, I do not know. I have been reading some of the different forum threads here and am learning more about this gun. I now know where to look for some tell tale stamps and marks. I think this gun is what someone called "a GI bring back bolt mismatch". Got no bayonette or cleaning rod. I may not care about the bayonette but the correct cleaning rod for this gun is something I would like to find.
Is there an online market for parts to make this gun whole?

Would like to see some pics for sure. Nice inheritance by the way. A 10 inch rod should be correct for that year.

You will need a 10 inch cleaning rod. Typically they would have last 2 digits of the serial number.
It will probably cost $100.
Try Tommy Vervest <us1945@hotmail.com>

If Tommy doesn't have it, I could sell you one.

Steve

Pictures of S/147 1936

I have taken pictures of my gun but will have to download them in batches. Too large for one download. Thank you militarytorch for the good info.

Attachments

• DSC00740.jpg
    DSC00740.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00742.jpg
    DSC00742.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC00744.jpg
    DSC00744.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 68
Pictures of S/147 1936

I just want to list here what I have found out so far.
Floorplate has locking screw & matching number 673
Front barrel band milled & stamped 673
Middle bayonet guide stamped 73
Receiver stamped 673
Stock stamped 673
Non matching bolt serial number 3447 and this is stamped in (3) different places
sight stamped 673 and "K" and also 73
I find "359" and "214" markings

I am NOT a gun owner and know little about guns except what I have learned thru research on this site and some experience shooting with friends over the years.
I guess I am wondering about next step with this piece. I know I want to get the correct cleaning rod for this year & model.
If I attempt to clean this gun is it possible to damage the value? I have no experience cleaning firearms but have some friends who own guns.
Or should I take it to a licensed gunsmith and have them refurbish this gun?

Attachments

• DSC00750.jpg
    DSC00750.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00751.jpg
    DSC00751.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00760.jpg
    DSC00760.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 32
More pictures

Here is last of the pictures. I have a few more verifying some stamping and numbers but the photos I have shared should identify this gun.

Attachments

• DSC00754.jpg
    DSC00754.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00755.jpg
    DSC00755.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00761.jpg
    DSC00761.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00757.jpg
    DSC00757.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 37
I just want to list here what I have found out so far.
Floorplate has locking screw & matching number 673
Front barrel band milled & stamped 673
Middle bayonet guide stamped 73
Receiver stamped 673
Stock stamped 673
Non matching bolt serial number 3447 and this is stamped in (3) different places
sight stamped 673 and "K" and also 73
I find "359" and "214" markings

I am NOT a gun owner and know little about guns except what I have learned thru research on this site and some experience shooting with friends over the years.
I guess I am wondering about next step with this piece. I know I want to get the correct cleaning rod for this year & model.
If I attempt to clean this gun is it possible to damage the value? I have no experience cleaning firearms but have some friends who own guns.
Or should I take it to a licensed gunsmith and have them refurbish this gun?

The rifle looks to be in good condition. Personally, I would not have it refurbished as it would really hurt the value of the rifle. The closest to original condition the better. As for cleaning the rifle, I use a little bit of Ballistol and that's about it. Properly storing the rifle is important as well, keep it away from humidity, not laying on the floor, etc.

Great questions.
When it comes to cleaning, less is better.
If you sand the stock you will kill value by 50%
If you restore it, it will kill its value.

Does the stock have cartouches?

673 in the f block if I'm reading it correctly? Bolt m/m. Stock has some goop on it I think, probably from a while ago. I certainly wouldn't kick it out of bed. Check the front band serial. At first I couldn't tell if the 3 was stamped over the 7 or visa versa however it totally looks period to my eyes. Pretty early for shenanigans?

Not a bad looking honest bolt mismatched rifle and being early Sauer is even better. Did anyone notice the little factory mistake on the front barrel band by chance? Looks like the worker stamped the number seven twice when he noticed his mistake he stamped over the number 7 with the number 3. Always like seeing those little details.

Military Rifle Journal
Back