Third Party Press
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finally got my Kar98b Simson!

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerst View Post
    The fellow on the horse on the right is my father.
    Cheers. My Grandfather was Cav and had some friends keep him around and employed. Ended up at Paderborn prior to the action.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

The fellow on the horse on the right is my father.
    Do you know more details? Where he was posted? His job? Very interested.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Default Details

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Do you know more details? Where he was posted? His job? Very interested.
    I will send a PM.

Woohoo! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Cheers. My Grandfather was Cav and had some friends keep him around and employed. Ended up at Paderborn prior to the action.
    My father started in a machinegun company (1925) and served in the infantry until he went to “school” and was transferred to the administrative branch as a paymaster/finance officer in an army corps. He was an avid horseman. We visited my American uncle at Fort Meade, Maryland in 1955 and went to the stables. My uncle (an American LTC) invited my father to mount a horse and ride. Father rode the horse around the paddock, then jumped him over the fence! It was great. He hadn’t been on a horse for 20 years!

Officers and senior NCOs in the Reichswehr were all horsemen.

BTW - I also just bought a 98b and will take delivery in two days!

Glad to see your long hunt for that Kar98b is over!
    Currently looking for quality, matching, as issued, ww2 Soviet rifles and handguns.

..invited my father to mount a horse and ride. Father rode the horse around the paddock, then jumped him over the fence! It was great. He hadn’t been on a horse for 20 years!

Officers and senior NCOs in the Reichswehr were all horsemen.
    I can both see this and agree. By transfer my mother (his daughter) was great with horses. Similar story of a trip in my early youth. Stable guys saying some shit... Mom jumps on the horse and is off. Preteen me watching those dudes with their mouths wide open.

Jordan, congrats on picking up the Kar98b! Now to just outfit it with a reasonably priced lid & sling...
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war"

George Santayana

Quote Originally Posted by feldmütze View Post
    Jordan, congrats on picking up the Kar98b! Now to just outfit it with a reasonably priced lid & sling...
    Thank you Mike I think I could find a muzzle lid but you bring up a sling! I have only seen one for sale in person before and I should have bought the darn thing. My buddy John had it on his table a couple years ago but I already bought way too much at the show. I was going to try to work a deal out on that sling after last year's SOS show but sadly my friend passed away. I still treasure the items I have bought from him over the years though always will.

I do remember the sling had those big Simson Eagles on it and it was dated I believe 1930 or 1929. But I'm not a hundred percent sure we actually talked about it at the SOS show he was going to send me pictures of it.

I still need to find a bayonet for this rifle and maybe a sea battalion bayonet for my other stuff I do know a friend of mine in Tennessee that might have one of those lol!
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers