Third Party Press
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reproduction scope and rails?

Not trying to takeover this thread, but is it generally cheaper to have your own built from a mismatch/shooter grade rifle or to purchase some shooter quality sniper already built? I've seen K98 snipers on gunbroker before that were cobbled up pieces that barely sold for 1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Transam1998 View Post
    Not trying to takeover this thread, but is it generally cheaper to have your own built from a mismatch/shooter grade rifle or to purchase some shooter quality sniper already built?
    Not necessarily "cheaper", but there's a better chance of obtaining a quality job if the work is done by someone who knows what they're doing. You wouldn't believe the number of bases I've removed from client's rifles over the years, only to find a second (and even third!) set of bitched-up holes underneath. Bubba takes aim with his drill motor and, if he doesn't get it right, he just moves the hole pattern 1/8-inch until he finally comes close to true position.

Been busy with real life and in a little update (if anyone cares) I have decided to go the HT/LT route with a ZF39 - all reproduction.

A “quality” repro ZF39 style scope is proving a little tricky if one wishes to avoid the Chinese company Red Star Mountain (aka RSM) brand that I have yet to find anyone saying anything good about. I have an email out to Accumount to see the origin of their ZF39’s (I am not clear from their site) and when they will be back in stock.

If anyone knows where to get non-Chinese ZF39 repros I am all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post
    Been busy with real life and in a little update (if anyone cares) I have decided to go the HT/LT route with a ZF39 - all reproduction.

A ďqualityĒ repro ZF39 style scope is proving a little tricky if one wishes to avoid the Chinese company Red Star Mountain (aka RSM) brand that I have yet to find anyone saying anything good about. I have an email out to Accumount to see the origin of their ZF39ís (I am not clear from their site) and when they will be back in stock.

If anyone knows where to get non-Chinese ZF39 repros I am all ears.
    I've not heard of the Chicom repop 'scopes and mounts, but they come as no surprise. The Red Chinese copy EVERYTHING, and subsequently dial down the quality when the merchandise is destined for export to the U.S..

Part of the reason why I originally suggested the Meopta ZF-4 is because it's a reproduction of an authentic glass, made by a premium optics manufacturer. That's seldom seen in the reproduction arena. Meopta telescopic sights compare favorably with other top-end European 'scopes, and their quality is considerably better than anything made in the 40s.

Some of the other reproduction sights (particularly those for the No. 4 MK I T snipers) were of grossly inferior quality. Who knows where they were made, and there's no warranty service available. When they crap out, you're SOL. Putting a vintage ebay 'scope in a modern repro mount would be slightly better, but it wouldn't result in a rifle that you'd feel comfortable shooting every day.

Richie

Thank you sir.
    I did check Meopta and, if their currently doing WW2 repros, it didnít jump out at me.
    Iíll take another peek specifically for the ZF4.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by DukeIronHand View Post
    Thank you sir.
    I did check Meopta and, if their currently doing WW2 repros, it didnít jump out at me.
    Iíll take another peek specifically for the ZF4.
    I checked also and couldn't find the ZF-4.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by k98dave View Post
    Thanks k98Dave,
    I wonder if the Accumounts sweptback is dimensionally any where close to the original and if the base fits the rail with any precision.
    Any of you have experience with one?

Quote Originally Posted by swjXE View Post
    Thanks k98Dave,
    I wonder if the Accumounts sweptback is dimensionally any where close to the original and if the base fits the rail with any precision.
    Any of you have experience with one?
    No experience on the swept back but I just finished up a clone suing Accumount's Type 3 SSR and its is nicely made. Others on forum may have some input on the swept back

Quote Originally Posted by k98dave View Post
    No experience on the swept back but I just finished up a clone suing Accumount's Type 3 SSR and its is nicely made.
    Details, pics...?

That's good to know, as I'm still keen on using a Type 3 SSR for my clone with my pre-war P.Kohler scope (or go the LT route)