Third Party Press

Parts identification assistance

Gerst

I have three parts which I recently removed from a rifle, replacing them with more “accurate” parts. I need help to identify the proper period. They look like Imperial parts except possibly the follower. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 7B2EF9BC-7BAC-489D-890E-6B2730C82CFF.jpg
    7B2EF9BC-7BAC-489D-890E-6B2730C82CFF.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 7B4D6109-BA68-4319-8EF9-F33E10FD3BE5.jpg
    7B4D6109-BA68-4319-8EF9-F33E10FD3BE5.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 20
  • BF223E94-F049-4D26-9954-C6FB3D4AF8FB.jpg
    BF223E94-F049-4D26-9954-C6FB3D4AF8FB.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 21
I have three parts which I recently removed from a rifle, replacing them with more “accurate” parts. I need help to identify the proper period. They look like Imperial parts except possibly the follower. Thank you for your help!

Gerst, the first two are imperial-- the trigger guard could be a Gew or Kar98a (to tell the difference, the Gew one has the quick detach sling loop hole)

The third is an FN produced k98k follower.

Gerst, the first two are imperial-- the trigger guard could be a Gew or Kar98a (to tell the difference, the Gew one has the quick detach sling loop hole)

The third is an FN produced k98k follower.

The trigger guard has the hole so it is for a Gewehr 98.

Excuse my ignorance, what is “FN?”

Jeez Chris that acceptance is so ugly even on magnificaton... How did you see 140 out of that?? Or are my eyes just that bad now? [emoji23]
It was the only # combo that made sense. Lol. It was a bit blurry.

Gerst, FN- Fabrique Nationale -- Belgian manufacturer appropriated by the Germans and produced spare parts for Mauser in particular.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

The trigger guard has the hole so it is for a Gewehr 98.

Excuse my ignorance, what is “FN?”

Fabrique National Herstal in Herstal, Belgium overrun by the Germans and turned to making parts for their weapons after the offensive in the west. FWIW they made/make awesome firearms. DAO HiPower former border weapon. Love, Love, Love it. black hammer.jpg

Also for what it's worth they currently make about half of the weapns the US Army uses, many made at a new plant in South Carolina. They also made the MAG58 which predated the M60 which 'we' initlally rejected but decades later adopted as the 240B. The Mimini (SAW) and I could go on and on. Top quality

Last edited:
Fabrique Nationale. They're as big a name as "Colt" or "Winchester".

Sadly... and I hate to say it (not hating on Belgium) but I'd certainly say bigger than Colt (currently).. Winchester.. I dont' know but in any case they are a serious global weapons force..and have been for a century.

It was the only # combo that made sense. Lol. It was a bit blurry.

Gerst, FN- Fabrique Nationale -- Belgian manufacturer appropriated by the Germans and produced spare parts for Mauser in particular.

So the follower is Belgian and numbered. Which German factories would have used such a part to make their rifles?

So the follower is Belgian and numbered. Which German factories would have used such a part to make their rifles?
As stated above, Mauser was the primary user of the e/140 FN parts. The Germans put captured foreign factories to work. Other examples include St. Ettiene in France (G43 receivers, etc..) and Radom in Poland (produced receivers and other k98k parts under the auspices of Steyr)

Every Czech facility in every area of weapons manufacturing...
Yeah, that too. I had the parts suppliers in my head and screened out the rifle producers. Clearly needed that second cup of coffee. Lol.

As stated above, Mauser was the primary user of the e/140 FN parts. The Germans put captured foreign factories to work. Other examples include St. Ettiene in France (G43 receivers, etc..) and Radom in Poland (produced receivers and other k98k parts under the auspices of Steyr)

Who applied the serial number?

Yeah, that too. I had the parts suppliers in my head and screened out the rifle producers. Clearly needed that second cup of coffee. Lol.

No issues bro I'm drunk af so I probably shouldn't even have been postin but yeah I just expanded the realm to rifle producers. Germany pressed everyone into production

The workers at the factory of assembly.

So any Mauser factory could have used that follower (or one like it) in one of its rifles with the last two digits in its serial number of 84! That’s a lot of guns!

So any Mauser factory could have used that follower (or one like it) in one of its rifles with the last two digits in its serial number of 84! That’s a lot of guns!
If I were a betting man, I'd say that this came off a mid war Mauser Oberndorf-made rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back