Third Party Press

Just ordered the book- quick question

hurlow8

I just now ordered this volume 2, and an excited to get it.
I was wondering- is there any info on maintenance, takedown, repair, etc in the book?
Wondering if I should also get a book with this focus too.

I'm working off of memory here as I am too lazy to run upstairs and flip through my books but no, I don't think so, it's mainly history and collecting.

For general maintenance you really just need to know how to take apart the bolt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2JZryunJpc

Make sure to keep the bore oiled as well as any metal parts. If you shoot corrosive then flush the bore with either hot water or a solution of two thirds water and one third ballistol then dry with patches and clean normally always make sure to leave a light coat of oil in the bore. I personally use ballistol for everything I only grease my M1s.

You can take the action out of the stock but I would bother unless you're scared of pitting underneath the wood and want to check or you want to see serial numbers or other markings.

I should also specify, I wouldn't even take apart the bolt for regular shooting unless I shot corrosive and want to make sure no corrosive salts got into the bolt due to the case not providing a proper seal. If you're shooting non-corrosive I wouldn't bother besides cleaning it once in a while.

Military Rifle Journal
Back