Third Party Press

M31 Mess Kit Inquiry

pwcosol

Last weekend I was offered the opportunity to purchase a tub of miscellaneous field gear. Most of it was worn or nothing special, but there were two real prizes in the lot. The first was a unissued Atlas Awning 1944 M1 Carbine paratrooper carry case. The other was this late WW2 German M31 mess kit. It reminds me of when Fed Ordnance in S. El Monte, Ca. imported many huge shipping boxes from Europe (ex-E.Germany) in the early 1990s. There were crates full of new M31 mess kits, canteens and bread bags. I still have three of the latter and kept a "HRE 43" M31 and canteen to go with my German A-Frame. In any event, the pictured kit is close to new and I noted some very steep prices for such kits (mostly from a guy in Europe) on Ebay. Would like to know what a realistic price range is for this example, as I will likely let it go and prefer not to put it up on FeeBay if it can be avoided...Thanks!

Attachments

• M31 MK 1.JPG
    M31 MK 1.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 27
  • M31 MK 2.JPG
    M31 MK 2.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 28
  • M31 MK 3.JPG
    M31 MK 3.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 31
Prices always depend on the source. Ebay and dealer prices are not realistic on such easily obtained items. I am still able to buy mint matching mess tins out of collections for $90-$120.

Military Rifle Journal
Back