Third Party Press

Should I shoot my K98 (Moved from Intro Forum)

Hello folks,

I'm new to the forum as I just recently bought my first K98 and started learning more about the rifle. I bought it sight unseen on some verbal feedback from a relative.

I bought it thinking it would be an interesting rifle to shoot. As I dig in and learn more, I thought I would also put some information out here and see what some of you that know significantly more than me about K98s think of my plan to just use it as a shooter.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

The condition appears to be ok overall for a 70+ year old rifle and it looks to be mostly original.

The bluing is thin/missing in areas with some small rust patches and scratches. Some other notable items are that the gun looks to be lacking many features as a result of material or labor shortages such as a place for the cleaning rod, missing bayonet lug, and no lock screws on the trigger plate screws. The front hardware (strap and end plates) are also held in place by screws versus the usual spring clip (very crudely done). The strap is carved up, and I'm not sure if it is a modified original or later addition as it is not retained by the buckle type fastener I've seen on others. Some of the parts I've seen numbered on other sample pictures are not numbered on this K98.

The rifle is dated 1944 and is dou (Waffenwerke Bruenn AG) as I understand, and the previous owner told me it was a bring back (though I don't know how to verify that claim). Forward of the "dou" on the barrel is a light stamping of what appears to be "SG" so I thought that may be an import mark or capture mark??

On the plus side, the bore is excellent and all numbers appear to match.

I've placed some pictures on a dropbox in case anyone would like to take a look and provide some feedback. The pictures are important as I am not sure what is really relevant yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j8p6bepxn9eg9b1/AAApi3iDDYKcyQwmdzjP5XYra?dl=0

I'm pretty sure the link will work ok for viewing the pictures.

If it turns out to be a shooter, I'll have a gun shop inspect it thoroughly.

Thanks,
Andrew

My second k98 is also a very good condition late 44 (byf) all matching. I took it out and shot it and afterwards saw wear lines on the bolt that were not there before. I decided to set this one aside and shoot my more worn k98 when I felt the need. Above average condition firearms will maintain their value if kept that way.

Rifle looks to be a correct semi kriegsmodell rifle. I personally would buy another k98k as a shooter and keep this one as is. If you do choose to shoot it, I suggest buying modern PPU ammo as its not loaded quite as hot as the surplus stuff.

John.

Thank you and I appreciate all the feedback. I'll take the advice and not shoot this one if it has some historical value. I continue to read and learn on these rifles. Odd thing is that I bought this as a shooter for $500. I have looked at many images and posts and I have yet to figure out the many nuances that matter.
This new information from the forum also leads to the inevitable question of what is this rifle I have worth. From those with much more experience with K98s, can someone tell me where I may be in the ballpark ($500, $750, etc?)?
Thanks, Andrew

Thank you and I appreciate all the feedback. I'll take the advice and not shoot this one if it has some historical value. I continue to read and learn on these rifles. Odd thing is that I bought this as a shooter for $500. I have looked at many images and posts and I have yet to figure out the many nuances that matter.
This new information from the forum also leads to the inevitable question of what is this rifle I have worth. From those with much more experience with K98s, can someone tell me where I may be in the ballpark ($500, $750, etc?)?
Thanks, Andrew

Id say more then double what you paid. Maybe triple...or more.

John.

one of the better threads

all good advice and better yet, the OP agrees and realizes the significance of the rifle ( collectable) maybe we are making progress here

I agree the problem with shooting any all matching rifle is you always risk the possibility of breaking something. I mean some k98k rifles or well over 80 years old now, 80 years of time on anything can affect the condition of an item. I mean if you had to shoot it maybe shoot five rounds through it just to say I fired it. And then put it back in the safe. But it always goes back to why should I shoot my close to $3,000 matching k98k. When I can shoot my $600 to $800 Russian capture k98k. Even better you can find a really nice bolt mismatch for $1,000.

..all good advice and better yet, the OP agrees and realizes the significance of the rifle ( collectable) maybe we are making progress here

Lol. Maybe? I agree with the advice given but I'd add if you really HAD to shoot it maybe consider the 170gr commercial such as Remington Core-Lokt. They've been referred to as 'law loads' or 'lawyer loads' because they were formulated to NOT blow up 100 year old rifles. At least that I was told. I have not chrono'd these but they sure feel softer than the 196gr and 198gr PPU I have. Best advise would be NOT to shoot matching, collectible rifles though.

Lol. Maybe? I agree with the advice given but I'd add if you really HAD to shoot it maybe consider the 170gr commercial such as Remington Core-Lokt. They've been referred to as 'law loads' or 'lawyer loads' because they were formulated to NOT blow up 100 year old rifles. At least that I was told. I have not chrono'd these but they sure feel softer than the 196gr and 198gr PPU I have. Best advise would be NOT to shoot matching, collectible rifles though.

glad you kinda of agree ???

yes shooting ammo through a collectable could cause harm and lessen the value, look at all the K/G-43's that have been destroyed in recent years, large availability of spare parts, its not only the shooting its the USE,

the USE, I would venture to say of the 100 or so P-38's I look at, 90% have been to the range, almost every P-38 or other WW1 or WW2 firearm has scratches, fine small scratches, These are from poor storage and RANGE TABLE STAPLES all ranges I have ever belong to have these staples, so have the rugs (with staples imbedded)

I would like to thank all the posters recently, and those who have also recently joined this site, you are right its your gun. So hit the range, enjoy

since we are hung up on firearms

So I have this non -restored original condition 1966 mustang ( camaro) convertible, I think I will fill it up with ethanol, and park it down in the supermarket parking lot for a few minutes, cause its cool to cruise to the local in my collector car.
Now would I go to the supermarket in my 1965 fully restored convertible mustang, not sure about the parking lot but that mis-matched car can go for those cool evening drives we have here in FL

Other than some one being stupid enough not take care when handling their matching K98 like using a log rest as opposed to a leather or cloth covered bench rest set up has anyone actually broken anything by shooting a couple of rounds of modern light loaded and non corrosive ammo? They have all been shot before and not made of glass.

If you take your un restored vintage car filled up with E85 and not using zinc additives in your oil and visit Wal Mart than I would say that qualifies as stupid!

Other than some one being stupid enough not take care when handling their matching K98 like using a log rest as opposed to a leather or cloth covered bench rest set up has anyone actually broken anything by shooting a couple of rounds of modern light loaded and non corrosive ammo? They have all been shot before and not made of glass.

I agree, I don't get this obsession with not shooting them.
Its not as if anyone is going to be putting hundreds of rounds a week through them, and they were built to take far worse after all.

I know its different for me (or anyone else from the UK) as we HAVE to shoot them to justify owning them, but even if we didn't, I'd still want to shoot the buggers from time to time, its the reason they exist after all.....plus the extra sense of history you get from doing so.

I agree, I don't get this obsession with not shooting them.

I think for most only the really original, collectible get that zealous type of disdain for shooting them. IF something happens and you get a tang crack or recoil lug setback that rifle is f'd.

Another problem with the 'shooting them is OK' is that some will take that as a green light to shoot 80 year old machine gun ammo and then wonder why something broke. Most of us aren't maniacal about it. I've shot all of mine but I also don't have any unobtanium pieces in my collection. The bulk of the shooting (and all hunting) is with a quite nice byf43 RC. Honestly a much better choice/solution regardless of your stance on shooting them.

I know its different for me (or anyone else from the UK) as we HAVE to shoot them to justify owning them, but even if we didn't, I'd still want to shoot the buggers from time to time, its the reason they exist after all.....plus the extra sense of history you get from doing so.

I agree. There are only two milsurp rifles here that I don't shoot, as both were acquired in "new/unfired" condition. Since the breech faces on both are pristine, I don't want to risk even a HINT of an erosive ring around their firing pin holes.

Some of my lesser condition rifles get fired, but I do so judiciously when using ball ammo loaded to original pressures. If I feel like putting 50-100 shots through one of those, I'll put together a bunch of cast bullet loads. The accuracy is phenomenal, and those loads won't hurt those rifles one bit.

Similarly, it's practically impossible to wear out the bore on a .22 rimfire by shooting it. See page 263 in Simpson's book, that isn't just ad hype. I was so happy to finally pick up a nice KKW, as it takes a lot of pressure off my K98ks.

Of course there's always the possibility of breaking an original, matching-numbered part on any of this stuff, but the Modell 98 is a pretty stout mechanism. Those rifles can certainly be enjoyed at the range, provided the owner exercises care and common sense.

Richie

Military Rifle Journal
Back