Third Party Press

Did anyone see this jewel?

IS clear as Ryan mentioned the H.Krieghoff used even the small HK joined stamp inside of circle, the same pieces are for LW proofed with LZA E/2 evidently, there exist many MG15 samples for comparation and even Luger pieces.
Personally never saw similar hk over date stamps as presented on RG34 and with the date is clearly different stamp as on czechoslovak ZB items.
Maybe the HK in circle here is for other firm? but when correctly LW proofed it could be real the connection. It could be the HK in circle is a part of LZA 2 proofs as sidely on MG15 near the fireproof of that house.
The postwar using of similar stamp in DDR would be real, but HK moved to Ulm in 1950.
I found already yesterday a joined HK in circle on dou barel of postwar CS Kar98k,lion proofed and E3 marked, with scrubbed reciever, even with DDR eagle fire proof? Joined or separated HK in circle were found on tgf 1950 production, and postwar dou45 and dot45 recievers, on iraque marked rifles.

Attachments

• dou45HKbarell.jpg
    dou45HKbarell.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Clearly someone thought it was worth 59.99. I think k98k kits go for more then $20-$30 these days. Why go through all that effort of stamping a kit, matching the finish down in the stamp...and then not talk about the stamp. Just to make $10-$20 more then you maybe would have. It only shows one good photo of the stamp, which also shows the G.Appel marking in that same photo. So its not like he specifically zoomed in on the stamps to highlight them. Regardless of what they are actually worth the average listing price of cleaning kits on Ebay is $30-$75. This one is more or less listed right in the middle of that average. So if this guy is faking kits for profit, hes doing a shitty job of it. Just my .02 cents.
John.

Not long ago had a friend buy a decent MUNDLOS Rg34 off Ebay (think date was '37or '38). He was absolutely delighted when looking it over and found a legitimate KM acceptance marking on the patch compartment lid. One never knows...

I find this sort of thing fascinating, primarily because it involves a marking that is somewhat unexplained. On the one hand, a faker would have to have fairly minute, specialized knowledge of this marking in order to be willing to fake it. THEN he would have to have a stamp.

If one were targeting experts, one would probably NOT oversell on the faked marking. In fact, the best trap would be to just sell it right out in the open with no mention, but with photos sure to be seen. Someone knowledgeable of the marking would surely spot it, and think that the seller didn’t know what they had.

As to the marking itself, the lack of understanding is what makes the fakery workable. The problem is that we can’t PROVE it fake OR real. If it starts turning up on watch bands and dog tags and cuff links then I think we can be sure it’s actively being faked OUTSIDE the Luger universe. But just a one of piece like this one is tantalizingly (suspiciously?) unknowable. This marking is one of the (to me) fun things we can yet explore though. Great stuff everyone, thank you for an intriguing read so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t speak to the verity of these marks, but the ebay sell price of the kit discussed here is the same as what one of the popular purveyors of military ‘antiques’ from many countries charges for a ‘select’ kit.
As such, I didn’t see the price point for this one to be unusual or suspicious/indicative of anything in particular, IMO.

I bought this one. Did the BiN as soon as I saw it because it looked good to me and at the price, thought it was worth taking a chance. Some good discussion here but having this in hand I am actually quite happy with it. I can't explain them but all of the markings appear period and show age. After purchasing I contacted the seller to ask about the kit. The seller is in the Fort Wayne area of Indiana and her listings were general antique and collectables along with some flea market type stuff. No other military items. She stated that she had purchased the kit along with a pair of German binoculars at a local estate sale. The binoculars had also been listed on ebay as a BiN but were already sold. She said she knew nothing about the kit and arrived at the BiN price after reviewing other ebay listings. I know and follow the old axiom of "buy the item; not the story" but felt it was worth asking after I had purchased.

Military Rifle Journal
Back