Third Party Press

98b bolt marking

Is this a legit 98b bolt?

Probably not, typically the FP is on the lower flat, not the back like this, also the style you have is later, more typical of mid 1930's. The real rule is as Peter states. the waffenamt. Though waffenamts can be any number of Simson associated waffenamts, late often E/76 or E/81 are seen, but E/6 is most common, especially in early-middle production. Off hand E/46 E/33 are also known but in the middling of Simson production, but truth be told, finding a matched to bolt Simson is not common, most by far are bolt mismatchers. I bet hardly more than a dozen bolt matchers are known, even in the common blocks (d-f block)

Thanks, oddly enough in all of the 98b's that I've owned, none had a correct bolt. I still have one rifle and was hoping to land the properly marked bolt. Still looking...

truth be told, finding a matched to bolt Simson is not common, most by far are bolt mismatchers. I bet hardly more than a dozen bolt matchers are known, even in the common blocks (d-f block)

Yeah, it really seems the Republican era has a highly skewed incidence of m/m bolts. The 98as seem to be more common with matched bolts (most won't have the original bolt, but a force matched one), but that might be anecdotal based on my own experience (all three of mine are matched)

I own about a dozen 98m or 98b from the era. Only two have matching bolts (an s28 and a 98m) and both are not the factory bolt. As I've told my friends many times, if you see a Weimar era rifle with a bolt mm, don't be picky. Buy it if the price is realistic.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back