Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confiscated original FG42 by the Dutch police goes to a museum

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbs View Post
    Thats some communist propaganda right there if ive ever seen it
    Was thinking the same thing.

"Laws", whims and feelings put on paper by a politician enforced by the power of the state.
    "When you see that in order to produce you must obtain permission from people who produce nothing.
    When you see money flowing to those who deal not in goods but in favors,
    when you see men growing richer by graft and by pull than by work
    and your law don't protect you from them, but them from you;
    When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming self-sacrifice you may know that your society is doomed."

Bottom line, we truly own nothing. If the government wants it, they will take it.

This is sadly the mindset of most Europeans.
    Don't question your government. They are always right. You serve them and if you're lucky benefit from the crumbs dropped. If you see something, say something.. Always turn in your neighbor because if the government says something is wrong, then it's wrong.

It's not in their nature to question authority or the law, even if its tyrannical. I'm not saying this to be insulting or ridicule Absolut.. Europeans just have a totally different mindset, as does the majority of the world. Bear in mind that the US mindset is born from questioning authority and then kicking that authority's ass back across the Atlantic. It's ingrained in who we are.

You're too funny. So it is OK to own a FG42 in the US that was not pre 68 registered (/never registered at all) because anyone who considers different is communist?

There are enough lawful ways to own a live and full automatic FG42. Not saying the access should be tougher nor stay this way. But there are ways, even in the Netherlands.

I was mainly being satirical with that post. That being said I would make a strong case for our rights already being impeded on. From most interpretations its quite clear we should have access to anything the military does based on the 2nd amendment. Now obviously I think it needs to be amended to exclude weapons of mass destruction, but anything that could be useful in protecting the nation for foreign and domestic threats needs to be available to a sane and respectful individual without paying $40,000 or with a bunch of licenses. Dont want to get into how this could be done legislatively, but as the founders intended we should have a greater access to firearms then we currently have. Especially when you think that wealthy individuals owned their own privateering ships and would actively harass the English navy and Pirates in the early years of the rebellion.

On a collecting note its absolutely insane that some of these incredibly valuable firearms are being cut up rather then being preserved by collectors who would love the opportunity to maintain them. The 68, ronald reagan, and Clinton gun control bills went way too far.

Ser, thank you for posting that. At least it was not destroyed! A beautiful FG.42. Fortunately someone with rank on the police force had an appreciation for it.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Europe and the US with respect to firearms are fundamentally different. 200 years ago, Europe had functioning, advanced cities and societies when we were wild places where a gun made the difference between living and dying. We had no police. We had no markets. We had no military to speak of. British Islanders and Europeans who wanted that life and freedom from monarchies and rule came here. They are us. We’ve developed fiercely independent and dare I say, more uncivilized. We are a huge country, relatively sparsely populated. We still have large areas where firearms mean the difference between living and dying. Accordingly, we equate firearms with life, necessary tools, and symbols of freedom. They are more luxuries in the EU, but we share an affinity for them. These are simply my thoughts.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Ser, thank you for posting that. At least it was not destroyed! A beautiful FG.42. Fortunately someone with rank on the police force had an appreciation for it.
    This hasn't much to do with that, but I'm reminded of a juvie cop back in Jersey. He too had an appreciation for guns. Mini-bikes and small motorcycles as well, he'd confiscate every one that he got his hands on. The local kids were too scared or stupid to ask for a receipt for their property.

Years later I met him in a bar after he retired, and it turned out that he had an ENORMOUS gun collection. And his kids always seemed to have a nice mini-bike or small motorcycle when they were growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolut View Post
    Well. Not happy for the collector if it was taken away from him, but on the other hand I don't feel sorry if he had possessed this item illegal. Up to him to own items lawfully. What the most important thing is and what I'm really happy upon is the fact that this item did NOT get destroyed.
    Indeed.

If that had been found in those circumstances here in the UK, that would have almost certainley been destroyed, and the collector would be spending 5 years in jail as well for illegal possession of a Section 5 prohibited firearm.

Senior Member Guillaume d'Orange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Europe and the US with respect to firearms are fundamentally different. 200 years ago, Europe had functioning, advanced cities and societies when we were wild places where a gun made the difference between living and dying. We had no police. We had no markets. We had no military to speak of. British Islanders and Europeans who wanted that life and freedom from monarchies and rule came here. They are us. We’ve developed fiercely independent and dare I say, more uncivilized. We are a huge country, relatively sparsely populated. We still have large areas where firearms mean the difference between living and dying. Accordingly, we equate firearms with life, necessary tools, and symbols of freedom. They are more luxuries in the EU, but we share an affinity for them. These are simply my thoughts.
    True, though in a not too distant past, we were as "uncivilized" as you were during the Wild West period. Post-WWII, plenty of people in Europe stashed firearms for their own safety (who emerged later on the black market or legal market, French police used captured P38s for some time and many MP40 or Colt 1911 were used for heists in France in the 1970s). Serbia has still one of the highest gun ownership percentage.

Owning or carrying a black powder Colt or a semi-auto pistol shall not be controversial (it is not to some Europeans like me or even Bulgarians who enjoy concealed carry). But justifying the ownership (or carrying ) an FG 42 or any gun with suppressive fire capability is a whole different thing (though, I regret this is not easier here to own them). You're lucky that your 2A dates from a time before portable automatic rifles were invented
    Last edited by Guillaume d'Orange; 02-25-2021 at 03:17 PM.