Third Party Press

Very Strange Gew98 Rework

The keel serial numbering is typical SS numbering from at least 1941. And it has a unique font.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock and hand guard numbers inside and out also the blued butt plate and numbering on butt plate says to me its an SS Rifle . Compare those stock number fonts to an SSZZA4 Rifle and the bolt cutout is reminiscent of the SSZZA4 rifles . Forgot to mention the blued cross bolt .

Dave is fully correct in here, as well as Mike. My (additionally) SSZZA4 stamped SS DC sniper (bnz 43 action with a single rune on the mag guard; if of any help: bolt and follower are EP serialized to match the rifle) rifle has exactly the same font and size serial number on the heel.

I agree with Dave re the stock font but the bolt cutout is not typical for SSZZA4 rifles, that one appears hand cut which is typical for SS gew conversions.

Hey Guys,
I just went on the Waffenamt Shop site and you can buy stock numeral stamps in this font for 120 euro.:facepalm::faint:
I think I'm going to to start a business converting matching Gewehrs. :laugh:

You are being coy, but I can tell you they are "similar" but not the same. Could you make them? Sure, but you can't get this exact stamp set from that site. The devil is in the details, but can be duplicated for sure.

I'm bumping this thread to mention the "Circle S". Something struck a memory cord and I remembered seeing it before on other SS Gew. reworks. I'm bumping another thread where I started a basic discussion about the different SS Deaths heads and some theories I'm working on in regards to them.

I am also working on another thread about SS Gew. reworks that I might have time to finish and post this weekend, there have been quite a few posted up lately so its a good time to review this stuff and see if things have changed. Without documentation, long term study and research is the only way to develop the ideas for the future of figuring these out.

You may be on to something with the "circle s". Problem is, research is going to send you down the luger theory rabbit hole. I spent 5 minutes looking into it (online and in my vast library of Luger lore) and see two different theories immediately. 1. post 1925 Simson rework and 2. Most likely a Police property marking having nothing to do with Simson. The good thing is, both theories have a police link.

Don't get me on to Lugers. Not to get sideways, but Circle S on Lugers and Rifles, with the rifles being attributed to the SS. Like maybe its a depot stamp? Post some Luger photos with the circle S so I can see them without doing any actual work of looking for them. Thanks. NOOOO! I"M NOT SAYING THE CIRCLE S COULD BE ASSOCIATED WITH SS DEPOTS. yet.

Found some super crisp photos on Jan Still's forum. Hope these help you Mike. These are as found and pulled directly here.

Attachments

• P1030704.JPG
    P1030704.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 52
  • P1030713.JPG
    P1030713.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 50
Both Brian’s and Rob’s are Amberg receivers so that should help expedite the search to make sure it isn’t something internal.

*** I meant Slowburn’s and Rob’s

I think you're onto something here Mike and you're right what better company do used then a commercial gun making company makes perfect sense. The question however is what might that company?

I do have a good theory about the 1918 dated rifles these were the primary rifles left in the depots. They were the first one's taken or destroyed. And most of them were brand new too. They were just sitting in the depots the army didn't need the rifles at the time. They wanted more machine guns and carbines. To me what better rifles to convert than the ones that are readily available?

Again these are all just theories

You are being coy, but I can tell you they are "similar" but not the same. Could you make them? Sure, but you can't get this exact stamp set from that site. The devil is in the details, but can be duplicated for sure.

Thanks Mike, It's good to know that those stamps aren't "spot on "copies!

Don't get me on to Lugers. Not to get sideways, but Circle S on Lugers and Rifles, with the rifles being attributed to the SS. Like maybe its a depot stamp? Post some Luger photos with the circle S so I can see them without doing any actual work of looking for them. Thanks. NOOOO! I"M NOT SAYING THE CIRCLE S COULD BE ASSOCIATED WITH SS DEPOTS. yet.

Some interesting Circle S Lugers. Looks like the Circle and S were two different stamps. I think these two throw a little cold water on the SS thesis.

I wish the picture of the first one was a little clearer. Looks like the same stamp we assume to be HZa Naumburg.

Attachments

• ssl1.jpg
    ssl1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 28
  • ssl2.jpg
    ssl2.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 25
  • ssl6.jpg
    ssl6.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 39
  • ssl13.jpg
    ssl13.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 29
  • ssl4.jpg
    ssl4.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0516 10-07-21.JPG
    IMG_0516 10-07-21.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 49
  • ssl3.jpg
    ssl3.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 44
Very cool rifle Rob-- worth the wait to see it. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I thought the same Ryan, that they don’t appear to be connected. The Luger stamp almost appears to be an S with the circle stamped after. A few thoughts I’ve had since - unless it’s connected to the Amberg manufacturing we may never know since it’s not prevalent. But, many of these Gewehrs went through Spandau in the 30’s for sight upgrades, and one possibility is it’s applied by Spandau. The receiver flat is popular real estate for them during reworking. Would make a good research project finding them

Which begs another question from the other thread - what are the circles? Again looks very much like something a depot worker might do, but why? I’ll put that on the list of Mauser Mysteries that needs solving.

Some interesting Circle S Lugers. Looks like the Circle and S were two different stamps. I think these two throw a little cold water on the SS thesis.

I wish the picture of the first one was a little clearer. Looks like the same stamp we assume to be HZa Naumburg.

Also points away from police. Would spandau have been operating with that kind of marking wartime though? Seems like something more likely to be pre war

I thought the same Ryan, that they don’t appear to be connected. The Luger stamp almost appears to be an S with the circle stamped after. A few thoughts I’ve had since - unless it’s connected to the Amberg manufacturing we may never know since it’s not prevalent. But, many of these Gewehrs went through Spandau in the 30’s for sight upgrades, and one possibility is it’s applied by Spandau. The receiver flat is popular real estate for them during reworking. Would make a good research project finding them

Which begs another question from the other thread - what are the circles? Again looks very much like something a depot worker might do, but why? I’ll put that on the list of Mauser Mysteries that needs solving.

Early Spandau rework is exactly what I was thinking as well. Its only seen on these WW1 era Lugers (all 1920 marked?), possibly an early Spandau acceptance from the 1920s? I have never seen the circle or the S by themselves, at least on Lugers, so I do think that the both were stamped at the same time. They just used two different dies which also might suggest these were from the 1920s.

Also points away from police. Would spandau have been operating with that kind of marking wartime though? Seems like something more likely to be pre war

If the Circle S is early Spandau work, I don't think it necessarily excludes yours being Police or even SS since the rifle could have been handed over to the police or some other civil organization in the 20s. The problem with the Lugers is they have later HZa rework acceptance. Seems very unlikely to me that SS reworked pistols would have ended up in the Army logistics system.

This is assuming the two Circle S stamps, Luger and Gew98, are even connected. As Mike suggests, the Gew98 receiver marking may just be an Amberg thing.

It could be an Amberg thing Ryan. I have a good friend of mine that has a few 1918 dated Amberg Gewehrs in his collection. He may let me break them down to verity if the circle S marking was around in that time period. Like I said I have been documenting Gew98 receivers for quite some time for the book project.

So I went back and looked at some of my pics. This is a partially matching rifle I used to own and is the earliest one I've ever seen.... converted 6/36. Its interesting for a couple reasons, but this also has the circle S which I didnt remember. Also an Amberg originally with its original barrel. This does not have the circle on the left receiver as some others do

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 216.jpg
    216.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I have a 16 and 18 Amberg, here's pics of the 16 - I'll have to dig the other one out.

Attachments

• 16amberg.jpg
    16amberg.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 34
Here’s the 18.

f9ba33667d5dc60d59e35ca179229de1.jpg

So I went back and looked at some of my pics. This is a partially matching rifle I used to own and is the earliest one I've ever seen.... converted 6/36. Its interesting for a couple reasons, but this also has the circle S which I didnt remember. Also an Amberg originally with its original barrel.

Here’s the 18.

f9ba33667d5dc60d59e35ca179229de1.jpg

Interesting. Next step would probably be to start looking at Gew98Ms and any Gew98 marked 1920 and if see if any are Circle S marked.

Military Rifle Journal
Back