Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ky1941 kit

Default Ky1941 kit

A friend of mine picked this up for me, not sure how original the components are to it if at all. The one thing that does appear correct at least, might be the oiler as the internals dont show any marks from having had a steel one in it. I presume the chain must be an ayw although it looks like vw.
    Looking for commercials

Oiler, brushes and chain are correct. Chain is ayw as you suspected. Tool is from a mundlos kit. Tool should be ayw1941, or ayw41. I am not sure if a ky1941 tool exists.

Beautiful can though!!
    Looking for 10" cleaning rod, early style e/214 #91, nazi style e/26 #04

Always nice to have such good friends, too...!

If you feel comfortable with disassembling the oiler there are markings that will tell you who made it. Go to Antoni`s web site rg.34blogspot.com , the section on phenolic oilers. By looking at his photos of the markings on various parts of the oilers, I was able to ascertain that the phenolic oiler in my ab43 Rg34 is correct. Also his example photo, ab.2:from a "ab 43" kit is identical to mine. So with that knowledge and looking at the wear pattern inside my kit, the oiler was surely issued with it.
    Your kit is a nice one for sure. Thanks for sharing it.

Also, if you do decide to disassemble the oiler, be aware that the bottom cap has an internal spring. After you remove the cap from the oiler, you will see a screw on the inside of cap. Be sure to keep a finger on the bottom when you remove that screw. Be sure to clean any grit encountered on the threads. I used a cotton swab with a little oil to loosen any grit, then wiped it all off before reassembly. Old bakelite threads can be brittle so go slow. Those little bottom disks are thin and can have hairline cracks from over tightening of the internal screw. If you see a preexisting crack, I do not know if I would risk taking it apart.
    Last edited by grimlin13; 02-18-2021 at 06:31 PM.
    " Hey, I got it from a long time dealer in Third Reich militaria years ago, so you know it`s real." Over heard comment at a table.

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    A friend of mine picked this up for me, not sure how original the components are to it if at all. The one thing that does appear correct at least, might be the oiler as the internals dont show any marks from having had a steel one in it. I presume the chain must be an ayw although it looks like vw.
    Looked at my inventory list. Have a very nice Ky1941 tin but that is all I have (E/WaA57).

My Ky1940 is same WaA, Ky1940 steel oiler, HKW and RGK (but dated 1939).

My arr41 kit is E/WaA750 accepted, with ayw 1941 marked steel oiler, HKW, and kcy marked RGK with swivel link and zinc beads.

My guess is a early Ky1941 could/would have whatever previous made components were available and likely some 1941 marked as well. As you can see, the arr41 not only bears a different WaA, but has made use of many subcontract components, so both 1941 kits appear to be separate entities for the most part.

A nice kit and in very good condition.

IMHO, these Rg34s represent a clear evidence that the letters Ky stamped on the lid corresponds to the Aktien-Maschinenfabrik Kyffhuserhtte firm, as many of the Ky1941 kits have been observed with ayw marked pieces inside.

With respect to the ayw marked pieces (RGKs, HKWs and milled oilers) the fact of observing many pieces with the complete date (1941) is another evidence of the relationship that exists between Ky/ayw. Everything indicates that the pieces ayw marked only with the last two digits of the year (41) is a later evolution in the marking, evidence of this could be the space present between the letter code and year. I enclose pictures of some KY/ ayw markings present on the RGK: KY1941, ayw1941 and ayw 41.

Personally, to date I have not observed any HKW with Ky1941 markings. The code ayw was asigned on November 1940.

Antoni
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://rg34.blogspot.com.

Interesting info gentleman, thanks for taking the time to reply, Im learning here. Im home now so Ill take a look at that oiler again.
    Looking for commercials

Very nice rg34 .....

I didnt unscrew the bottom cap, but the top I could turn by hand so I did. Here are the markings on it.
    Looking for commercials

This also came in the mail today, kinda fits here. A little flax tow, and it appears you can still buy this brand today!
    Looking for commercials