Third Party Press

Supposed SS-Wa1 large trigger guard BNZ4

BigShell

Just got off the phone with the gentleman who has this listed on GB. God bless his elderly heart, but he believes there is absolutely nothing wrong with this rifle.

SS-Wa1 was only used on MP35’s IIRC. That said, the trigger guard may be off a different rifle. But then there are other glaring issues. Everything not pictured looks like standard mismatched fare.

de12846efcbf63993258ea0ba20025fa.jpg

8a954fe4dc8fadf9d7c938c668294a68.png

e76d1ce1379e04af340451be0a2a59f4.png

880b1376543ebb491435f529e1e94c48.png

679dd837d87b04c31cfda3a4c094eb86.jpg

07942fd87d2d969ac619a461dbf97ad9.png

ae4f974926f5f90b192c16f00e47e948.png

8c204996f923e9daa4f833b3baec1e09.jpg

Yeah, postwar trigger guard went back in time and jumped in the way of the guy inspecting mp35’s, seems possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To Mike’s point, with nothing against the owner, this rifle/owner is such a good example of what I can only describe is a plague on this hobby.

There seems to be a level of delusion involved with 98k’s nowadays. Not saying I’m not guilty myself when I started, but a lot of people just refuse to believe their mixmasters/clearly fraudulent examples are anything less than perfect specimens...

Nowhere does that show better than on gunbroker or related sites, buyers and sellers alike.

Last edited:
It's not a new phenomenon, I've seen it since I started buying this stuff in 1989 ish. People all want theirs to be the "SS" wonderwaffe too, a common theme. Just recently I saw a mismatched junker Spanish rifle with a 98m rear sight ramp marked S.s. and the owner said "it made the hair on his arm stand up" when he saw it.

It's not a new phenomenon, I've seen it since I started buying this stuff in 1989 ish. People all want theirs to be the "SS" wonderwaffe too, a common theme. Just recently I saw a mismatched junker Spanish rifle with a 98m rear sight ramp marked S.s. and the owner said "it made the hair on his arm stand up" when he saw it.

:facepalm:

Wow that's a stinker! The only way it'd make hair stand up is if you drag your feet on the carpet while holding it.

Not gonna lie - I felt genuinely bad for the old man. Told me how he found it at a gun show in the early 90’s and it had been a prized possession ever since. Said as he gets older he feels it’s time for someone else to enjoy in their collection. Sad really.

Not gonna lie - I felt genuinely bad for the old man. Told me how he found it at a gun show in the early 90’s and it had been a prized possession ever since. Said as he gets older he feels it’s time for someone else to enjoy in their collection. Sad really.

I feel the same way in similar circumstances. I just hope he enjoyed it in his time at least, I guess that’s really all that counts.

Yeah, postwar trigger guard went back in time and jumped in the way of the guy inspecting mp35’s, seems possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it hitched a ride back in the time machine with the post war Yugoslav barrel, although it looks to have missed getting stamped.

Tell him it's a heirloom that belongs in the family & should go to someone he loves

I just hope he enjoyed it in his time at least, I guess that’s really all that counts.

That's it in a nutshell, Herk. I've run into this many times -- sweet old guy, but his heels are dug in. What are you gonna do, educate him? To what end?

Better to just say "thank you", wish him well, and move along.

Richie

Yes, post war TG and the star over T stamp is seen on Yugoslav barrels. The 472 on the barrel is also normally seen on the bottom of Yugoslav barrels and is an assembly number used on the barrel, receiver and bolt, but is NOT the s/n on those rifles. Looks like that number got added to the bolt as the s/n in this case. Unreal what stuff like this is selling for these days!

Military Rifle Journal
Back