Third Party Press

G98 1906 WMO 1492k

hale1940

Canadian Fabio
Hey there,

So I’ve been looking for a G98 for a while and tonight one came for sale local to me. G98’s seem pretty hard to find up in Canada right now, so when I saw this one I immediately snatched it up. From what I can tell its all matching, but missing the cleaning rod.

WMO 1492k, production year 1906.

Love to hear what your thoughts are on it. Thanks!

524B3ED0-D150-4F07-B4CC-100E3A0F9DA8.jpg
05017A13-3251-4284-95F0-88B3A81EB891.jpeg
37ED4188-7373-4841-809A-5233B030AF4F.jpg
AABA2D67-F8EC-4A19-BB6D-C3B109111CFA.jpg
14423D60-15A0-48A9-920F-15D697CFA7AF.jpg

You did well. It's right as rain-- really nice rifle for sure. Congratulations.

It looks untouched, the acceptances all look correct for the time and it just has a nice look to it.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

You did well. It's right as rain-- really nice rifle for sure. Congratulations.

It looks untouched, the acceptances all look correct for the time and it just has a nice look to it.

Awesome. Im really glad to hear that. Im not as familiar with Gew98’s but when I saw it I had a feeling it was a good one — knowing what I know about K98k’s. I ended up getting it for about 1200 (US), which I don’t think is a screaming deal, but considering the Canadian market I think it was actually not bad.

The guy who sold it to me didn’t seem to know much about it, but he did say it was unit marked. Any info on that claim?

Yeah, that's a good price in the US-- great deal in Canada from my understanding.

While this is not the highest (latest) but it is the last block of WMO/1906. Try and do the right side receiver acceptance?

** some of these are unit marked, but not all.. you do not see anything on the disc? Not even a crowned over character (letter)?

Thanks everyone for the comments. Very happy I found this guy! Now I have a nice G98 to go a long with the K98k’s....just need a kar98a lol.

Thanks for the RR, this is fine quality, all I need is the raw data for trends purposes.,

Unit markings are a crap shoot, many rifles seem to have "avoided" them, but a good (or at least the best we have) number have been flipped. The thing is it is a huge gamble flipping a disc... several considerations, but the first is whether you have a shot at all? If the crowned acceptance is present then most realistic owners won't take a risk, for good reason, but if the acceptance is not apparent (obvious) then flipping is a consideration. It could really help on value, but you screw up the flipping, chipping or marring the surrounding wood it is a serious distraction.

Unit markings are a crap shoot, many rifles seem to have "avoided" them, but a good (or at least the best we have) number have been flipped. The thing is it is a huge gamble flipping a disc... several considerations, but the first is whether you have a shot at all? If the crowned acceptance is present then most realistic owners won't take a risk, for good reason, but if the acceptance is not apparent (obvious) then flipping is a consideration. It could really help on value, but you screw up the flipping, chipping or marring the surrounding wood it is a serious distraction.

I'm wondering what led the previous owner to believe the piece was unit marked. Did you ask him?

Richie

Good question... perhaps the original owner was thinking of another rifle he was selling or he misinterpreted another marking for a unit marking. In this case it seems unlikely it is unit marked, a close up examination could reinforce or weaken the probability. That said there are a good number of unit marked WMO/06 known half a dozen at least, - though most WMO/06's do not have their original stocks, so we do not know how common it occurred.

What can be said is among the known unit markings, they are pretty well grouped among a few AK, that were armed with bayonets in the same time frame, there are some similarities. Two closest to this rifle were part of the 8th AK, at Coblenz (Rhineland), though another in the a-block is also attributable to that AK. Jeff Noll reports are attributable to Karlsruhl (Baden) and MauserBill's old WMO/06 is a Württ Reserve IR... One from the 16th AK at Metz, which according to Carter was armed around 1905.

Anyway, it would be interesting if this rifle were unit marked, especially if it falls in with other known or reported rifles with similar issue (AK in the range of Carter's estimate of issuance)

Good question... perhaps the original owner was thinking of another rifle he was selling or he misinterpreted another marking for a unit marking. In this case it seems unlikely it is unit marked, a close up examination could reinforce or weaken the probability. That said there are a good number of unit marked WMO/06 known half a dozen at least, - though most WMO/06's do not have their original stocks, so we do not know how common it occurred.

What can be said is among the known unit markings, they are pretty well grouped among a few AK, that were armed with bayonets in the same time frame, there are some similarities. Two closest to this rifle were part of the 8th AK, at Coblenz (Rhineland), though another in the a-block is also attributable to that AK. Jeff Noll reports are attributable to Karlsruhl (Baden) and MauserBill's old WMO/06 is a Württ Reserve IR... One from the 16th AK at Metz, which according to Carter was armed around 1905.

Anyway, it would be interesting if this rifle were unit marked, especially if it falls in with other known or reported rifles with similar issue (AK in the range of Carter's estimate of issuance)

Sorry its taken me a couple days to respond, been working.

I took a closer look at the unit disk on my rifle and upon closer inspection there appears to be a very small marking, what looks like a crown/W or crown/N, I really cant tell though. Its only a a couple millimeters in size. I tried to take a picture last night but was unable to get one that was clear enough.

As for what the seller told me, I suspect he really didn't know what he was talking about. He was a younger guy and he said he bought it five years ago from an older gentle, probably got it cause he was playing 'Battlefield 1' at the time and wanted the 'gun from the game,' and then it just sat in his closet. He was selling it to buy a modern precision rifle, by his own account.

Military Rifle Journal
Back