Third Party Press

Alabama drug bust: STG44 and MP40

Mr. Dynamite

These pictures were floating around social media, but I was not able to find any further information or even a news story about it. Alabama drug dealer busted was about all the details.

Attachments

• EBB7862C-5055-4C45-9965-B299354019E9.jpeg
    EBB7862C-5055-4C45-9965-B299354019E9.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 261
  • 86AFEEE1-3E60-4BEA-8262-E38CE5826CC7.jpg
    86AFEEE1-3E60-4BEA-8262-E38CE5826CC7.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 328
Lordy those are in nice condition. Too bad, gone forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lordy those are in nice condition. Too bad, gone forever.

Perhaps not... LE sometimes has latitude in retaining seized property such as this. In addition, revenue from the potential sale of seized property often augments their department's funding as well. Once they learn what those two pieces could be worth, doubt they will want to throw them in the crusher any time soon! My guess is the first thing will be to run the serial numbers thru the NFA record files to see if they have ever been papered. If they are not there, the department might be able to add them to their forensic firearms reference library.

Once back in the 1980s I was invited to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office. I became acquainted when submitting paperwork to transfer a live Soviet PTRS-41 to me (which I was able to accomplish with their help). If you could have seen the pistols and rifles/MGs they had in the reference library...however, each arm had a large inventory number indelibly etched onto the frame. One of the MGs they had was a Soviet PPsh43, but it was missing the mag. I told the lieutenant in charge I would get him one, and a good friend offered to send one gratis. After receiving the mag, the OIC gave me a call to express his appreciation and extended an invitation for me to come shoot the PPsh43 (and others) at the police range some time, but I never followed up on it. Oh, almost forgot, the second time I was there a group of women were being given some sort of tour thru the facility. As I was standing near the MG floor rack, they came around the corner and one, as they hesitated at that spot, asked if they had a UZI. I pointed down to one only a couple feet away and said "That is a UZI right there." I swear by the expression on her face and body language, thought she was going to jump right out of her heels as if struck at by a rattlesnake!

Last edited:
There are some options for a LE agency to retain them, if they so desired. For one thing, they could have a SOT convert them into post-May samples. That would probably require demilling them and then re-welding, but would be better than total destruction. Probably a real long shot that would ever happen.

My guess is the first thing will be to run the serial numbers thru the NFA record files to see if they have ever been papered. If they are not there, the department might be able to add them to their forensic firearms reference library./QUOTE]

That's a great story, pw!

But if memory serves, doesn't ATF refuse to search the NFTR, demanding instead that evidence of prior registration be produced?

Richie

Our local law recently changed. It forces the government to auction off ALL seized guns, unless there are very particular reasons for the item to be not for sale (e.g. just a piece of scrap metal because it was buried in ground for the last 50 years). It was even changed in a way that governmental organizations might take over ownership for scientifical or historical purpose only, but this at the same time only temporarily.

I'm really looking forward to the fully automatic guns that will turn up.

Our local law recently changed. It forces the government to auction off ALL seized guns, unless there are very particular reasons for the item to be not for sale (e.g. just a piece of scrap metal because it was buried in ground for the last 50 years). It was even changed in a way that governmental organizations might take over ownership for scientifical or historical purpose only, but this at the same time only temporarily.

I'm really looking forward to the fully automatic guns that will turn up.

Even if they are here illegally and not NFA items?

If the guns turn out to be legally registered, and stolen from an owner, they will have to be returned.....

Military Rifle Journal
Back