Third Party Press

Trying to get info on Gew 88 barrel markings

An idea for the lack of military proofs . The Loewe law suit . The German military failed some of the Loewe parts / rifles . Is this a rifle that was failed and just sat in a corner for a while ? Then later was sold or reused .

Thanks for the extra pictures, very helpful, I was able to review Scott's pictures, he takes excellent photographs, but not as many as I would like... but a couple disparities were revealed (potentially), his has a Crown/V on the barrel tube or sleeve, forget its nomenclature... but the part that screws into the receiver, there is a C/V at the top. ALso his has the crowned acceptance (only one) on the right receiver, - you do not show it so I assume it is absent?

Yeah, nothing on the right receiver at all. I should have snagged a picture of that, I'll throw up a quick one in a moment.

Also nothing on the bit of the barrel sleeve/tube/whatever that screws into the receiver. I'll get some pictures of that area too.

OK, here you go. Sorry for the picture quality, this was very quick and dirty snagging it out of my safe and snapping some pictures with the terrible overhead lighting. If you want any images that are more specific, a different area, etc. just ask.

Top of the receiver and barrel shroud, from front of the receiver to rear sight:

TU5FJq8.jpg

Right hand side of same:

A1ccqAW.jpg

Left hand shot of the same:

o9ulI9S.jpg

Right hand side of the receiver. Zero acceptance, proof, etc marks.

vbJsNnZ.jpg

Thanks for the extra pictures and details, strange differences, but very superficial, especially the C/V which seems to only apply to 1891 inventories, I assume yours was sold or issued out by 1891.

In the end these are so elusive that it is difficult to know or even guess what the story with these are.

Military Rifle Journal
Back