Third Party Press

AC40 P38 - Gunbroker - Was this a deal??

fishermankw

Below is the link to an auction that ended for an AC 40 P38, sold for just shy of 1200. I confirmed with the seller that the grips did not match, the magazine is an obvious mismatch as well. For an AC 40 I would’ve assumed they would’ve gotten more attention, what else am I missing? For the rarity of them even an obvious mag mismatch I would’ve imagined it would fetch more coin on gunbonkers.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/891597708

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Below is the link to an auction that ended for an AC 40 P38, sold for just shy of 1200. I confirmed with the seller that the grips did not match, the magazine is an obvious mismatch as well. For an AC 40 I would’ve assumed they would’ve gotten more attention, what else am I missing? For the rarity of them even an obvious mag mismatch I would’ve imagined it would fetch more coin on gunbonkers.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/891597708

I guess it would depend on who you asked. To some, yes. To others, no. Hard to say really.

RC right?

4638e88e57bd66ceae41815355b09bf9.jpg

Sent from the Gulag

Don’t worry, it will be a non rc with matching grips soon enough.

I missed the “X” as well, good catch, that helps to bring it down. It doesn’t look dipped or re-blued, did the Russians leave some “as is”?

TO the OP

"what are you missing"

1) enough experience needed to purchase collectables on auctions sites.

2) you had plenty of time, while this was up on GB to do research numerous sites and forums for this???? FREE

3) first clue and its important one, because it explains what else is wrong and price yes the dreaded "X" capture pistol

4) do you know what the going rate is for a pristine collectable 1940 P-38 is ?????
do you know the going price for a "X" marked P-38 from 1940.

before you bid you should know these answers

5 ) metal condition its re-blue you need to learn the difference between russian re-blue and a original Walther finish verse the BUDDA's cold blue touch up,
Note" the red and white in the fire and selector markings, those are fake. The mag is a attempt to add a Wather 1940 mag to this piece

what is next to the "X" ? I do not think its a east german proof, but could be, what else is wrong! POOR photo's The asterisk * almost looks like a reject marking, on the frame hard to tell

overall this pistol is not worth $800.00, its a shooter!!!! its not even collectable to post war collector

TO the OP

"what are you missing"

1) enough experience needed to purchase collectables on auctions sites.

2) you had plenty of time, while this was up on GB to do research numerous sites and forums for this???? FREE

3) first clue and its important one, because it explains what else is wrong and price yes the dreaded "X" capture pistol

4) do you know what the going rate is for a pristine collectable 1940 P-38 is ?????
do you know the going price for a "X" marked P-38 from 1940.

before you bid you should know these answers

5 ) metal condition its re-blue you need to learn the difference between russian re-blue and a original Walther finish verse the BUDDA's cold blue touch up,
Note" the red and white in the fire and selector markings, those are fake. The mag is a attempt to add a Wather 1940 mag to this piece

what is next to the "X" ? I do not think its a east german proof, but could be, what else is wrong! POOR photo's The asterisk * almost looks like a reject marking, on the frame hard to tell

overall this pistol is not worth $800.00, its a shooter!!!! its not even collectable to post war collector

God Damn - you’re always coming in hot, shoot first ask questions later I guess! First off I did not bid on this auction, so hold your ponies there Buster Brown and don’t jump to conclusions. I am aware what a pristine AC40 goes for, hence why I’m asking these questions to better educate myself. Per the rules of the forum I did not post a “live” auction link and waited until it was complete.

Obviously 1 & 2 were addressed above.

#3 - was a good catch, my less trained eye did not pick up on this, the poor pictures certainly did not help.

#4 Yes, also addressed above

#5 I know the “High Polish” of the early P38s, are there any dead give aways or is this a trained eye, you’ll eventually get it type of thing? I see there is a difference in the blueing between the frame and the slide, I’m thinking that helps as a sign.

Re: the red/white F&S selector, I thought the coloring was off, but didn’t want to jump to conclusions and wanted more of an expert opinion before I made that assessment.

Last edited:
Ahh, the dreaded Russian “X”. No, not a good deal.

And it's not even a nice RC, I had a BYF43 RC hot dip from RGUNS that cost me $450.00. (9 years ago) It looked way better than that pitted thing.
I gave it away as a wedding gift. 1st thing I look for on any P38 is that Russian X. $1200. is way overboard on pricing.

It's not stunning... it went for well over what any avid collector would pay. It's not rare enough to warrant a higher price in that condition. Maybe if the mag was originally matching and maybe if it wasn't as pitted it'd be something of interest as a russian capture at that price? Most avid collectors are not into the capture / stamped / refinishes on regular items.

RC right?

4638e88e57bd66ceae41815355b09bf9.jpg

Sent from the Gulag

Now that I compare what you blew up to my other early ACs can totally tell the difference on the bluing. Looks like the Russian “black” bluing. Thanks for the help, certainly a good example of what to look for.

Military Rifle Journal
Back