Third Party Press

Another Pre98 Horror Story

I think a 24k Hamada would be dead last on the firearms I would ever shoot list.

I'm not an attorney but return policy nuances like 3 days from item recieved gets really blurry. 3 days from when the FFL recieves? 3 days from the transfer? I personally would expect 3 days from the transfer because there is a documented transaction taking place that says this pistol came into my possession on this day. But what do I know? Reminds me of commonwealth hiding insane return hoops to jump through under the additional info tab.

I just looked at the listing on his website. The photos definitely show the safety. None of them are dead on of the safety though. I mean if I was dropping 25k on a pistol I feel as though I would have noticed.

I think a 24k Hamada would be dead last on the firearms I would ever shoot list.

I'm not an attorney but return policy nuances like 3 days from item recieved gets really blurry. 3 days from when the FFL recieves? 3 days from the transfer? I personally would expect 3 days from the transfer because there is a documented transaction taking place that says this pistol came into my possession on this day. But what do I know? Reminds me of commonwealth hiding insane return hoops to jump through under the additional info tab.

I just looked at the listing on his website. The photos definitely show the safety. None of them are dead on of the safety though. I mean if I was dropping 25k on a pistol I feel as though I would have noticed.

I agree on the safety comment , buyer should have seen and questioned that 1st off . As for the inspection period my understanding is from time the buyer receives item is start of inspection period , not FFL as implied by SCHLOCKMEISTER Pre98 . See You in court would be my reply !!!! .

When I sell an items the inspection period starts when purchaser takes possesion of item !!!

If you guys don't mind me asking what happened in this deal? Can't access the link I'm not a member on that forum.

Okay now that makes sense now. But what can we expect from somebody like Fat Scotty. I mean seriously he took a real SS Depot conversion Gew98 to k98k rifle and enchanced it with fake bolt numbers. He ruined a nice armorer's bolt in the process. And then sold a first production 98 Erfurt carbine that originally had holes drilled into the receiver. Had the holes filled, and numbers re-stamped on the receiver. But when he sold it called it all original and untouched.

Sold some guy a “functional 25k jap handgun” turned out to be inoperable, incomplete with fake parts.

Oh and he's refusing a refund because his policy is three days upon receipt, but the FFL didn't release the firearm to the customer immediately, so the three days had passed before the guy got hands on them item.

The icing on this cake is the claim he fired the pistol. With no sear and no striker spring. :laugh:

Last summer I sold a Garand to a nice man in another state and shipped it to his FFL. In early September I messaged the buyer to see if he got the rifle and to make sure he was happy with it. He said it was waiting for him at the FFL and that he had been too busy to get it. In late December he sent me a message that he got the rifle and he was happy--no problems. I was a little bothered that it took him 3 or 4 months to pick up the rifle. If he had wanted to get a refund, I probably would have done it, but there should be some responsibility on the buyers part to be a little more diligent than that.

He should be brought to justice. I really hope this guy takes him to the courts and puts him behind bars where he belongs.

Hmm, I have mixed feelings on this one. Here is the item in question: https://pre98.com/shop/tue-jan-26-j...ecently-discovered-one-of-less-than-10-known/

On the buyers side:
  • It's not acceptable to start the 3 day inspection period until the buyer can legally inspect. The clock cannot start when the item is received by the FFL if the buyer cannot inspect.
  • The item is described as "a textbook example" - which to me says in all original condition with no missing pieces.

On the sellers side:
  • You can see the safety clear as day in the pictures on the website and it clearly doesn't look like how the buyer claims it should be if it were original.
  • These are collectibles, very few people fire them or guarantee they fire. The item is not advertised as such.

In the end, I feel the seller should issue a full refund based on the two major points. Sure, the buyer should have inspected via the pictures, but they had a 3 day inspection period for an item a "reputable" business listed as textbook. For $24,000, I would take it to a judge.

Last edited:
Last summer I sold a Garand to a nice man in another state and shipped it to his FFL. In early September I messaged the buyer to see if he got the rifle and to make sure he was happy with it. He said it was waiting for him at the FFL and that he had been too busy to get it. In late December he sent me a message that he got the rifle and he was happy--no problems. I was a little bothered that it took him 3 or 4 months to pick up the rifle. If he had wanted to get a refund, I probably would have done it, but there should be some responsibility on the buyers part to be a little more diligent than that.

First time I've ever heard of that one, although I'm sure it's not the first time such a thing has happened. That really goes beyond taking advantage!

Richie

It had happened to me as well, I bought a rifle in another country that wasn't as described, but it had taken me one and a half month to get it through an exporter. I'd had shipped it back at my expenses, but seller refused to take it back. Brought this to court where he for whatever reason all of a sudden decided he would take it back, but took him another month to get me my money.

Anyway, to the discussed pistol: not knowing how this one is supposed to look when complete it appears to me that the safety has some brass repair, but that seems to be visible in the pictures. Additionally when looking at pictures of other pistols like this one it becomes quite obvious the safety is unique and different from any other identical model. At a price tag of $ 24,000 one should expect a buyer to be able to do comparison and notice this.

One could however argue that a dealer should be able to notice this as well, plus mention it in his description. For me it seems that regarding the safety both are to blame, but who am I to judge.

Generally at a $ 24,000 price tag for an item which I cannot put my hands upon earlier plus only 15 pictures and a few sentences to look at the seller should offer more than just three days inspection period (for what he even made the claim the first day he got it). Plus at that price tag it DOES make sense to get a lawyer involved.

First time I've ever heard of that one, although I'm sure it's not the first time such a thing has happened. That really goes beyond taking advantage!

Richie

Oddly (to me) this is not unheard of. Have a friend who is an FFL and, on at least two occasions that I’m aware of, people have ordered guns (transfers) that have sat for 6+ months waiting for the new owner to come and get them.
Odd to me as I can’t wait to get mine if for no other reason then to ensure I got what I paid for with a old and used gun. Think any gun condition complaint from a new owner weakens mightily after 6 months!

My father (FFL) has had people buy guns, ship them to him, and never pick them up or contact him. People are weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting and thanks to all for their input. May I ask is there anything on their site at the moment that raises a red flag? I assume not everything is bogus. I mean if a guy is totally crooked he's not going to last in this business is he?

Very interesting and thanks to all for their input. May I ask is there anything on their site at the moment that raises a red flag? I assume not everything is bogus. I mean if a guy is totally crooked he's not going to last in this business is he?
Main issue with pre98 is all of their stuff is usually absurdly overpriced to the point that they make Legacy look reasonable in their pricing.

This just flat out sucks……
Steamin pile of bovine scatology.

Unfortunately I have said this here before but, No one can ever take your honor or your integrity from you. You must willingly give them up.
So sad that some people decide to give away things that most times can never be gotten back.

Military Rifle Journal
Back