Third Party Press

1917 Erfurt Kar98a sells for $5,525.00?

Is amazing Warrior. Every time we think we have seen it all another comes in at another grand or more. More than one 98k has sold for over $5000 not far back on Gunbroker.

It's absurd-- i have one in comparable condition that i paid about 1300 for. Seems like two fools fighting for a relatively common rifle. I can see maybe 2500 given condition, but twice that? no way.

It would be crazy if a guy like me paid $5K for a WWI or WWII service rifle, but I think a lot of the people who do this drive a Maybach and drink tea with their pinky extended.

A few years ago my wife told me about a kid who received a new Lamborghini for his birthday, and immediately smashed it up because his dad bought the wrong color.

It is absurd, but good for Nick, - and Bob Jensen, they are friends and has sold a great many rifles used in Backboner, perhaps that was the appeal, I hope Bob shares in the price. I haven't spoken to Bob in years, I hope he is well.

Though twice its value might cause a pretty unpleasant hangover.

While the gun is very nice, it seems gunbroker is filled with people who have more money that sense.

Agreed it was a beautiful carbine in wonderful condition. I do wish I could have seen the barrel code of it though for the data. Hope both parties are happy in the end. But it does amaze me when something like this sells for 5000 plus dollars. I personally wonder if the two bidders even did any research at all? But I highly doubt it I agree with the more money than sense statement. I remember a new member here last year spent well over $20,000 on rifles on GunBroker in less than a month. He had no clue what to look for just wanted them.

One of the bidders is currently bidding on a reblued Gew 91 right now described as “Original finish”

One of the bidders is currently bidding on a reblued Gew 91 right now described as “Original finish”

Yeah it's nuts. I sometimes follow the 'bidder chain' to see what other nonsense is connected. I find 'Ramalama41' who has multiple Fs and some Cs yet somehow still retains an A+ overall rating??? I guess multiple non-paying buyer reviews don't factor for much?? While I'm not saying I don't believe this auction, at that price until the money has changed hands I'm skeptical. Again, not my money.

It's all in the gloves

Maybe it's all in the gloves? That other seller on GB wears black gloves, this guy is trying to start a new trend wearing clear ones! lol

Yeah it's nuts. I sometimes follow the 'bidder chain' to see what other nonsense is connected. I find 'Ramalama41' who has multiple Fs and some Cs yet somehow still retains an A+ overall rating??? I guess multiple non-paying buyer reviews don't factor for much?? While I'm not saying I don't believe this auction, at that price until the money has changed hands I'm skeptical. Again, not my money.
I've wondered that myself. It seems that they really don't factor feedback accurately.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

This rifle is for the collector who wants nothing short but the best and has the checkbook to pursue it. At the very first MAX show in St. Louis there was a 98a (also ERFURT 1917) which was in comparable, factory fresh, condition. The dealer wanted $1800 for. Mind you this was in the 1980s a time where these rifles could be bought in the $300-400 range. These quality pieces do not come along frequently.

This type of buying makes me think: 1) Must be something I don't know (how special/rare/nice the thing is?); 2) "More money than sense"...but how does someone attain wealth and retain it, with this kind of thinking? Maybe they did not earn the money (inheritance, lottery, lawsuit recovery, etc. and maybe it will all be gone soon); 3) Maybe someone is very wealthy, but does not want to take the time or even have the time nor want the publicity involved with shopping around (like an athlete or celebrity getting paid multiple millions and will never run out of money buying old guns). It would be nice to have so much money that I could only buy the best items, with no issues, at any price, but I think part of the fun is looking and finding a deal, and having a quest or two always going.

It's absurd-- i have one in comparable condition that i paid about 1300 for. Seems like two fools fighting for a relatively common rifle. I can see maybe 2500 given condition, but twice that? no way.

The collectors on surplus forums make up less than a percent of the actual number of collectors out there. Most of them are not well versed and not inclined to do research. Some of them have a lot of disposable income that they can afford to pay $5000 for such a rifle because to them it's in mint ship and surely they'll never see another one like it again.. They've got the money to avoid having to get patience and in some other cases it's simply because ignorance is bliss.

Pretty rifle. Happy for both the seller and buyer.

This rifle is for the collector who wants nothing short but the best and has the checkbook to pursue it. At the very first MAX show in St. Louis there was a 98a (also ERFURT 1917) which was in comparable, factory fresh, condition. The dealer wanted $1800 for. Mind you this was in the 1980s a time where these rifles could be bought in the $300-400 range. These quality pieces do not come along frequently.

This.

If you want the best, you have to pay for it. Simple as that.

Steve

This.

If you want the best, you have to pay for it. Simple as that.

Steve
If you want the best, you ^sometimes have to pay for it.

I own plenty of of first rate stuff I haven't had to give 2-3x going rate for, but occasionally you do need to splurge.

If you want the best, you ^sometimes have to pay for it.

I own plenty of of first rate stuff I haven't had to give 2-3x going rate for, but occasionally you do need to splurge.

This. I've never "splurged" 200-300%, unless it was for something like a screw with a WaA I needed that I paid $20 for instead of $7. I'm at a point where I can afford to "splurge" too, but I learned and honed my hunting and buying skills when I couldn't afford to splurge. There is no thrill of the hunt if you just throw money all about. Who couldn't find cool stuff that way?

Holy Shiite this IS KRAZIE !!!!

I can well afford to pay stupid prices, but unless I am subjected to a forced Frontal Lobotomy, I am not going to piss away money ......

I agree with you on that Dave we all want to splurge on something that we really want. But why spend close to $5,500 for a very commonly found 98a carbine? I've seen 10 for sale in the last 2 months. There was a really nice 1918 Erfurt 98a with the very hard to find dust cover. And the extremely hard to find flash hider posted for sale on gunboards for $6,500. If I just had piles of money. I would much prefer that because of the two extremely hard to find accessories that are going with it.

Still the best deal I have learned over the years are done between friends.

Military Rifle Journal
Back