Third Party Press
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointing oddball of a rifle

Default Disappointing oddball of a rifle

I purchased a K98 from an undisclosed seller on a popular auction site with some very sound advice from members on here. I was very excited as it was a rare rifle for many reasons, but when I received it I knew almost immeditely that it had been sanded and not described as such. In the pictures from the auction I could not tell it had been sanded. Lighting and top down photos made it difficult to tell. I sand cars occassionaly for paint and that experience helped me to identify the sanding as I could see the original factory sanding on the right hand side (unmolested) where as the left hand side had different sanding directions, ripples from not using a block, and the sander did not bother to match the contour of the rifle. It had a lot of material missing by the take down lever which I compared to a rifle I knew to be correct. I included a picture from Michael Steeves book to show what appears to be a Mauser employee sanding the rifle along the horizontal axis where as my rifle had been sanded at a 45 degree angle upwards. You can only see this in certain lighting while looking along the edge of the rifle.

I included pictures of the keel of the stock as I thought it was interesting that this was the darkest portion. Usually the rifles that I run across are lightest on the tops and bottoms and darkest on the sides of the stock from where well meaning owners rubbed them with oil over the years.

The seller did the right thing after 30 minutes of debate and accepted the refund. Thanks to everyone on here who assisted and let me know if you think I did the right thing/ thoughts on the rifle. Rifle is shipped as of this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's quite a flat spot that really shows in pic # 7 & 8 You would think that would have been rejected during assembly or at insp?

Quote Originally Posted by k98dave View Post
    That's quite a flat spot that really shows in pic # 7 & 8 You would think that would have been rejected during assembly or at insp?
    My thoughts are that was done post war by a bubba

Well......not all late war rifles got the best sanding jobs, and not all are with the grain. When I look at a rifle to decide it it’s sanded, I check edges and corners, end especially the bolt cutout. Rarely does the bolt cutout get missed. Honestly, if someone sent me those photos I wouldn’t guarantee it was sanded, I’d need more pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.
    不要支持中国人用假投票推着我们的假总统。

aye aye captain, but the bolt cutout is fine and to me not messed with. A moderator and another collector also said it was wanked.
    Last edited by OttoVonBismarck; 03-02-2021 at 10:31 PM.

Like i said in the first post i think the right side of the gun has not been messed with. The left hand side is whats very off to me. The bowed left side of the cheek rail, the uneven surfaces on the left side by receiver cutout, and the area behind the recoil lug are what to me made me so incredibly suspect. I wanted to toss it like a hot potato before I got stuck with it. From what I have seen in the K98 books I thought the stock blank was spun on a lathe type of a machine that turned it into a recognizeable stock. The finisher would then lightly sand the rifle then remove splinters. I would be expecting him to be focusing on splinters and not removing an entire layer of the laminate to the point that the take down lever petrudes over the left side of the stock... I understand its 1944 and its the end of the world and all, but if they were too busy to remove chatter marks I dont know why some worker would have the time to hold the rifle to the wheel that long. Especially if there are ripples in the sanding are which to me means it was done my hand and by an amatuer at that. Not someone who sands all day long every day who would have had at least a block or even like something similar to a paint stick. Especially if it was done at the factory you would think the finish would have blended over the years with added oil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OttoVonBismarck; 03-02-2021 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OttoVonBismarck View Post
    In the pictures from the auction I could not tell it had been sanded. Lighting and top down photos made it difficult to tell.
    For the life of me, I can't understand why so many auction sellers try to mask the faults of their wares with intentionally bad photography. As easy as it is to produce good pictures nowadays, why would anyone do this? It only means an eventual argument with the buyer, and having to deal with a return. Perhaps they're gambling that the buyer won't go through the hassle, and just keep the thing. But if you asked me, it's a sh*tty way to do business.

Based on the prevalence of this with sellers I wonder how many buyers make an issue of these things? One would think if the got “busted” every time they’d stop it...?
    I had a similar situation once (not a K98), complained, and the seller gave me a pretty hefty “partial refund” to take care of the undisclosed issues. Course I shouldn’t have had to do that but it was made right I suppose.

I defer to your in hand examination. I have rifles similar to this with lighter left side than right, usually due to the rifle having a sling on it. The flat spot? Not the first I’ve seen like that either. But again, not my rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.
    不要支持中国人用假投票推着我们的假总统。

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default byf42 Brunn I

Wow, I am surprised. From the pics this looked like a good rifle. I still support my initial assessment that this is a good rifle.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----