Third Party Press

Magdeburg Luger

RyanE

Baby Face
Staff member
Thanks to a fellow member for pointing me at this one. Condition isn't great, but it is a bit tough to find these depot reworked Lugers so whatever. It'll do until a nicer one comes along.

This was an all matching R block DWM commercial Luger from the late 1920s, probably originally chambered in .30 Luger, later reworked by HZa Magdeburg. E/Mg10 is stamped on both the rear of the frame and on the barrel. Fireproofs are the odd Magdeburg style you see on the K98k/Gew98 reworks also. The HZa rebarreled it and added the military style numbering but otherwise looks like the original commercial parts are all here. It would have had a matching mag from the depot, but it has a mismatched E/63 'w' block mag in it. Grips are completely unmarked. Now I just need to find one of the WwMg holsters...

Sorry that the pics are out of order. Forum decides to do this at random sometimes.

Attachments

• Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Left SN.jpg
    Left SN.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Frame SN.JPG
    Frame SN.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Barrel 1.jpg
    Barrel 1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 67
  • Barrel 2.jpg
    Barrel 2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 79
  • FP.jpg
    FP.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Frame Mg10.jpg
    Frame Mg10.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Frame Mg10 2.jpg
    Frame Mg10 2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Breech.jpg
    Breech.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Firing Pin.jpg
    Firing Pin.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Bar.jpg
    Bar.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Trigger.jpg
    Trigger.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 68
  • Plate 2.jpg
    Plate 2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Plate 1.jpg
    Plate 1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Pin.jpg
    Pin.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Safety 2.jpg
    Safety 2.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Safety.jpg
    Safety.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 73
  • Mg10 K98k.jpg
    Mg10 K98k.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 86
Depot lugers are a very unappreciated area of luger collecting. I'm glad to see them show up here where all half dozen of us that care about them are exiled to. I appreciate you posting the photo of the proof on the rifle, I knew I had seen it before but seeing them side by side really helps.

Now you need to go after a lazy S!

Depot lugers are a very unappreciated area of luger collecting. I'm glad to see them show up here where all half dozen of us that care about them are exiled to. I appreciate you posting the photo of the proof on the rifle, I knew I had seen it before but seeing them side by side really helps.

Now you need to go after a lazy S!

Haha, a man can dream! Of course, all of the Luger collectors think they are all fake, so maybe I can con one of them into giving me one.

Congrats, very nice looking Depot Luger, agree with the other comments, a really under appreciated area in Luger collecting for reasons I've never understood, they are a really neat niche. I have an MG10 marked 1918/1920 DWM with the MG10 stamp on the rear only. It looks like they replaced the extractor and grips, the extractor is numbered 99 which I've always wondered if that was the default used in the Depot for extractor replacement, I've seen it on other Depot Lugers, odd that many have 99 for the number (just a guess though). Couple of pics in case anyone is looking for info on these to see some of the variations for MG10.

BTW, there was a guy selling an MG10 marked holster on Lugerforum.com (the other Luger forum) sometime back, if you check there it may still be available.

thanks, Nick

IMG_0473.jpgIMG_0476.JPGIMG_0485.JPGIMG_0488.JPGIMG_3151.jpg

shame those are range table scratches, the wear on the high spots cause by something abrasive was use to clean it?. On the sides but not the top, looks different than holster wear. not sure if its the pictures but the barrel period replacement as indicated stands out

love that Crown "N"

if you collect field repair or depot repair , this will fill the void in the collection

Congrats, very nice looking Depot Luger, agree with the other comments, a really under appreciated area in Luger collecting for reasons I've never understood, they are a really neat niche. I have an MG10 marked 1918/1920 DWM with the MG10 stamp on the rear only. It looks like they replaced the extractor and grips, the extractor is numbered 99 which I've always wondered if that was the default used in the Depot for extractor replacement, I've seen it on other Depot Lugers, odd that many have 99 for the number (just a guess though). Couple of pics in case anyone is looking for info on these to see some of the variations for MG10.

BTW, there was a guy selling an MG10 marked holster on Lugerforum.com (the other Luger forum) sometime back, if you check there it may still be available.

thanks, Nick

Nice Magdeburg. I'd bet your barrel is marked, if you look close enough. Mine is so poorly struck it could be easily missed if I didn't know what I was looking at. The barrels on the earlier variations (Weimar style Mg5) don't appear to be marked, but all the Mg10/Mg7 I have seen are. Not many to see, of course, but seems to be the pattern.

Holster was long gone, but thanks for the lead. Looks like I missed a rare WwHr holster too.

shame those are range table scratches, the wear on the high spots cause by something abrasive was use to clean it?. On the sides but not the top, looks different than holster wear. not sure if its the pictures but the barrel period replacement as indicated stands out

love that Crown "N"

if you collect field repair or depot repair , this will fill the void in the collection

Looks like holster wear to me, but I confess I am not a pistol expert. Wear pattern matches up with my shooter Luger. Nice blueing on top, heavily worn everywhere else.

As for the barrel, I guess you are referring to the blue difference? You see this on these reworked commercials, the blue process is different between eras, and it appears Magdeburg did not do a complete reblue.

Nice Magdeburg. I'd bet your barrel is marked, if you look close enough. Mine is so poorly struck it could be easily missed if I didn't know what I was looking at. The barrels on the earlier variations (Weimar style Mg5) don't appear to be marked, but all the Mg10/Mg7 I have seen are. Not many to see, of course, but seems to be the pattern.

+1, you are correct, I pulled it out this weekend and went over the barrel and there is a faint stamp, so just confirming stamp is present, on mine it was on the top and very lightly struck.

thanks, Nick

Holster was long gone, but thanks for the lead. Looks like I missed a rare WwHr holster too.

Looks like holster wear to me, but I confess I am not a pistol expert. Wear pattern matches up with my shooter Luger. Nice blueing on top, heavily worn everywhere else.

As for the barrel, I guess you are referring to the blue difference? You see this on these reworked commercials, the blue process is different between eras, and it appears Magdeburg did not do a complete reblue.

Great pistol! The bluing wear is straight from the holster, though Magdeburg touched up the bluing on the frame at a minimum as evident from the blued frame interior. The mix of salt and rust blue is always a neat feature, you can even see it on mauser’s 1937 production. Though my eyes could be playing tricks and it’s all rust blue. In addition, the fluted firing pin was an update this one received, it wasn’t adopted until the end of 1930. An alphabet commercial wouldn’t have had one originally. Congrats on a great find!

Military Rifle Journal
Back