Third Party Press

Reichsheer bolt identification

That K167 on the bolt collar/shroud in the photos you added tag that to a very early (pre-WaA) MO part. Pretty cool mix of stuff on that bolt. Too bad about the RC finish but it is what it is.

No need to bother your trade partner, I was under the impression you had possession of it... Sounds like a good discovery if as described and original.

That K167 on the bolt collar/shroud in the photos you added tag that to a very early (pre-WaA) MO part. Pretty cool mix of stuff on that bolt. Too bad about the RC finish but it is what it is.

So the shroud might be a Weimar era part? What’s “MO?”

What did the Russians use to make the parts so dark? I guess they disassembled everything down to the last screw, cleaned the parts, blackened them, added their scribble snd reassembled them without regard to manufacturers codes or acceptance stamps.

Last edited:
So the shroud might be a Weimar era part? What’s “MO?”

What did the Russians use to make the parts so dark? I guess they disassembled everything down to the last screw, cleaned the parts, blackened them, added their scribble snd reassembled them without regard to manufacturers codes or acceptance stamps.
MO= mauser Oberndorf

The Russians used a cheap hot dip

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Rare parts

No need to bother your trade partner, I was under the impression you had possession of it... Sounds like a good discovery if as described and original.

I just hope he finds time to figure out how to list it so that I can jump on it first!

Finding a proper Simson bolt or a suitable Weimar era substitute looks like a matter of luck based on what you tell me. The people who possess these rare parts, and who know what they have, aren’t likely to part with them but are probably saving them either as rarities or to one day use these themselves to complete restorations, like my 98b!

MO= mauser Oberndorf

The Russians used a cheap hot dip

Assuming I am able to buy a suitable Weimar-era bolt, would it be better to sell the RC bolt as a single unit or to break it down, clean it, and sell it piecemeal? Your thoughts, please.

Weimar bolt

The Weimar-era bolt is on its way to Texas! I sure hope it is what I need. If not, I can always sell it.

I’ll post pics when when it comes in. Stay tuned!

With marked parts I think it's best to sell it piecemeal. Some RC bolts have been scrubbed or have other issues and arent as good for parts fodder.

My TC bolt

With marked parts I think it's best to sell it piecemeal. Some RC bolts have been scrubbed or have other issues and arent as good for parts fodder.

Assuming that the Weimar bolt works for me, i will unload the “RC special.” The bolt body has no serial number but that may be a positive.

Here is another photo which seems to have imperial proofs. Take a look.

Attachments

• BB9DE502-5EE9-40A3-95AE-D860BF2B83A7.jpg
    BB9DE502-5EE9-40A3-95AE-D860BF2B83A7.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 7

Here is the bottom of the bolt shroud. Do those figures mean anything?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 5
Russian capture parts

The firing pin on the RC bolt is e/623, Steyer, serial number 8826. Any idea when it might have been made?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 13
I'm sure it could be nailed down to a certain time frame. Blued, fairly quality machining. Accepted with full 4 digit serial so all those features will date it.

Here is the bottom of the bolt shroud. Do those figures mean anything?

Just like the many qlyphs on the bottom of a receiver in many cases they're internal process marks most of which are both undocumented and unknown. Obviously they served some purpose for the internal tracking of step completion but beyond that we just don't know.

Where does one find information indicating that code K/167 is for Oberndorf?

Attachments

• 079930FA-05FE-4C3A-A25B-F2962A95EA73.jpg
    079930FA-05FE-4C3A-A25B-F2962A95EA73.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 7
Just like the many qlyphs on the bottom of a receiver in many cases they're internal process marks most of which are both undocumented and unknown. Obviously they served some purpose for the internal tracking of step completion but beyond that we just don't know.

Is it Oberndorf?

Where does one find information indicating that code K/167 is for Oberndorf?

Only Mauser Oberndorf used these boxed type inspection stamps on 1934 and early 1935 production.
The best source for all things K98k are the four volume book set by Karem and Steves. Nothing else is
close unless you can read German and have access to original factory documents.

Wrong number......please dial again!

[in short, if you have a E/WaA16 bolt, best guess is it is Zeithain, though such a high serial does seem to introduce some doubt, in 1926 they approached this 4500 range, but falls sort so far, but the E/16 is only known in 1927 (1926 E/11. E/12, E/13 and E/14 are recorded) and they barely made half that production (serial) range. However, it seems the most likely possibility. It would be helpful to see this WaA16 bolt as reporting markings do not give the same impression as the ability to make comparisons (fireproofs, fonts, associated characteristics, markings etc..) .[/QUOTE]

The bolt is either an e/115 or e/116, not an e/16. My "trade partner" either has poor eyesight or, like our liberal friends, he sees what he wants to see!

[in short, if you have a E/WaA16 bolt, best guess is it is Zeithain, though such a high serial does seem to introduce some doubt, in 1926 they approached this 4500 range, but falls sort so far, but the E/16 is only known in 1927 (1926 E/11. E/12, E/13 and E/14 are recorded) and they barely made half that production (serial) range. However, it seems the most likely possibility. It would be helpful to see this WaA16 bolt as reporting markings do not give the same impression as the ability to make comparisons (fireproofs, fonts, associated characteristics, markings etc..) .

The bolt is either an e/115 or e/116, not an e/16. My "trade partner" either has poor eyesight or, like our liberal friends, he sees what he wants to see![/QUOTE]

To my earlier comment, it's early Sauer (S/147G most likely), still quite a desirable and rare bolt

Military Rifle Journal
Back