Third Party Press

Does anyone else hunt with theirs?

No Sir, you are fine. This forum is open to everyone and you are welcome just the same as the next guy.

That's been my understanding. And I'm in agreement with a previous poster who said your rifle looked "awesome" on that coyote you drilled. The farmers and deer hunters around here would agree with me.

If you really wanted to post something gruesome, a whitetail demolished by 'yotes would fit the bill.

Richie

A Coyote may look like similar to your pet, but I assure you they are not. Hard to get a much more ethical kill to a coyote then a 8mm, certainly alot better then hitting one with your car.

Sometimes I think members of this forum forget that these rifles we collect made it through a war. Taking one that is pieced together and "restored" out for the occasional hunting trip should be applauded. I dont think he is hiking up and down the Himalayas with it. Let me put it like this...a all original hemi cuda or COPO camaro probably shouldnt be taking passes at the drag strip. But one you found in a field and built to your preferences? Launch that thing. Nice rifle!

John.

No Sir, you are fine. This forum is open to everyone and you are welcome just the same as the next guy.

The OP is free to post what he wants, and I am free to state my position that it is not appropriate for a collectors site. As to
farmers being happy with it, I grew up on a farm and now own two, raise cattle in two different states. I have a problem with killing
any animal with a year round season, yes I know it is legal in many states, (including mine) but you kill a female coyote in
April, May, June and you are leaving the pups to die a slow death by starvation, just doesn't seem sporting to me.

You got that right. Otto, don't ever worry about the "general consensus", not here or anywhere else. Me, I shoot, drive and ride everything I own. Nobody gave me this stuff, I worked for every dollar that it took to buy it. It's MINE, at least until I go Home.

After that, I couldn't give a rat's rear what anyone does with it. If the next guy doesn't like the extra ding or scratch that I added, it's their problem -- not mine.

Richie

I’ve personally always viewed it as I am paying for the right to preserve the history. I take them out from time to time read about them and study their markings and consider how they were made and under what conditions. There will be a time that they will become close to non existent if they weren’t obscenely rare as is. I have new guns to shoot and old ones to look at.

On the other hand it is your gun and do as you please. For the OP welcome to the forum, thanks for the cool post, and I hope you continue to stay active on here.

<The OP is free to post what he wants, and I am free to state my position that it is not appropriate for a collectors site.>

Agreed, although I'd point out that your original objection was somewhat narrower. And, I would add, the content of the posts and whether they're appropriate fare for a collector's site is ultimately up to the moderators, not the members.

<As to farmers being happy with it, I grew up on a farm and now own two, raise cattle in two different states.>

That's indeed a laudable pursuit.

<I have a problem with killing any animal with a year round season, yes I know it is legal in many states, (including mine) but you kill a female coyote in April, May, June and you are leaving the pups to die a slow death by starvation, just doesn't seem sporting to me.>

Nor does it to me, and I'm quite certain the OP would be in agreement. But it seems you've now expanded your complaint still further, to the degree that it includes the hypothetical.

A extraordinary amount of study goes into game management. The length of hunting seasons and bag limits are established by game biologists and environmental scientists. Year round seasons only exist where certain animals present a threat to the existence of others. The length of the season is in direct proportion to what's required to bring them under control -- whim or emotion doesn't enter into it.

Many of my clients hunt predators and varmints, and I can assure you that every one of them is an ethical and humane outdoorsman. It's my belief that the majority of our nation's sportsmen are. For instance, each winter many of these fellows expend a lot of toil and personal wealth to feed Whitetail deer that probably would've starved otherwise. I would be shocked to learn that such men would knowingly deprive ANY young of their mother, predator or otherwise.

Richie

Even if you do it for a hobby, you should still understand that leaving pups without a mother is too cruel, if you' re so interested in coyotes, then choose males. I don't understand the point of killing a female at all. You' re acting extremely stupid. I've been to a great place https://www.westgateresorts.com/blog/10-best-places-hunt-wild-boar-florida/ where the number of wild boars on ranches is clearly regulated and they use this method to control the invasive wild hog population. So at least it makes sense there. There`re too many boars, so you're not hurting the population. As for the coyotes and other rare animals, I think it makes no sense to kill them, even for the sporting sake.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back