Third Party Press

byf 45 a-block

Bob in OHIO

This came from GB months ago, and there was some thought the cocking piece was unnumbered. Lightly struck, but it is there...

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 135
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 134
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 122
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 148
Well-worn metal and fresh looking wood, nice. The open pores and deep scallop-shaped chatter look great, that must be the appeal of late war walnut.

Beautiful rifle, love the chatter in the grip area. Nice find!!!

Sent from my top secret official Bunker of the Order of the Def’s Hed.

That's a great late walnut piece Bob. Still possible to find some gems on GB flying under the radar. Not a common occurence for sure but it does happen. Congrats!

..just a weak phosphate... Feb '45 doesn't leave much time for war wear....

Totally agree. Weak base metal concentrate as zinc supplies are depleted. Less time spent cleaning/seperating the accumulated sludge from the solution and probably less time in the bath. Some are so weak/thin they almost look untreated.

I wonder whether you are seeing "wear" or just a weak phosphate... Feb '45 doesn't leave much time for war wear....

Must be as you and Heavy say, the high points of the bolt knob and safety/shroud shining in the sun looked almost like raw metal. Weakest phosphate I've seen, which in itself is a good reason for liking this rifle.

..the high points of the bolt knob and safety/shroud shining in the sun looked almost like raw metal. Weakest phosphate I've seen

Yeah we've all been there. When I first saw some I thought either they were fake or stripped. But when you take the process, where they were in the war from a material aspect and the pressures they were under it's easy to put it together. The phosphate finishes in their own right are an entire topic. Alternatives, weak solutions, and even really strong finishes all play a part in the puzzle.

While I'm far from an expert I have played a bit with both zinc and manganese phosphate coatings and those really thin almost transparent finishes I'll chalk up to 'time in the tank'. The amount of material deposited is MOSTLY time dependent even though there are other variables at play. I think it came down to them just continually shortening the 'time in the tank'. Of course I think those other factors also play a part.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back