Third Party Press

.22 rifle What is this? Help please

mdarnell19

Beavis Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys, I always wanted a cheap .22 shooter that I could put a period scope on. I found this the other day for $750 and don't even know exactly what it is. Worth getting? The bolt is numbered on the underside with the last 2 digits. No number on the other bolt parts. I can get more pictures if needed. Thanks for any help and info.

IMG_3629.jpgIMG_3632.jpgIMG_3634.jpgIMG_3630.jpgIMG_3631.jpgIMG_3628.jpg

Hey guys, I always wanted a cheap .22 shooter that I could put a period scope on. I found this the other day for $750 and don't even know exactly what it is. Worth getting? The bolt is numbered on the underside with the last 2 digits. No number on the other bolt parts. I can get more pictures if needed. Thanks for any help and info.

More pictures would be good and it's seen better days, but yeah -- for $750 it's worth getting. Thus far it appears to be one of the less-than-frequently-encountered J.G. Anschutz variants. Its front band and handguard appear similar to those found on the JGA Sportmodell, and the action is similar to a DSM that's been grooved for a mount. That's as far as my knowledge and those photos take me.

Richie

Matt, I think both bands are not original to it, I would presume this would have a Dsm style rear band. The front band also looks incorrect, people often make these out of existing barrel bands, by cutting them down, but they need a chamfer added to look correct. Not the end of the world, just something to keep in mind as far as value is concerned. I presume you’re looking for something “98k” looking, if not, a Walther sportmodell V can be had for probably half the price, and they are grooved receivers as well.

Attachments

• C50ECA81-E3CB-4580-B252-91EFE323EEEC.jpg
    C50ECA81-E3CB-4580-B252-91EFE323EEEC.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 18
No, honestly I’m confused by it, but I don’t know small bores nearly like some of these other guys. Maybe JGA was looking up to their big brother Walther with their grooved sportmodells and it’s a test piece or something? Might be something special but I just don’t know.

Thanks Clay. Yes I am looking for a .22 that looks like a K98k with the grooves on the receiver so I can easily add a period scope and rings. And I want something on the cheaper side because it will be just for shooting. Don’t need it to be a collector piece.

I’d say that looks like a perfect example then, I probably wouldn’t even sweat the bands, they “look” good overall on it anyway. I’m curious to hear thoughts on that receiver.

Military Rifle Journal
Back