Third Party Press

Browning High Power grips

tokarev38

Is it known when did Germans stop painting inside of the grips orange. I am trying to figure out if 57k range WaA613 without painted grips is correct.

Thanks, Jack

I'm not certain there is a solid delineation of where the paint stops, but at 57k I would personally be comfortable with non painted grips.

Not hijacking this thread but what would a 1818xx have on it. Looking for a set of correct grips for it.

Regular walnut grips without orange painted backs.

The paint on the backs of the grips was to prevent moisture. According to Anthony Vanderlinden in his excellent (you need them) FN pistol book, the painted backs of the grips, a German occupied production austerity measure, started about the middle to back end of WaA103 production. However, I've seen WaA613 pistols in the 50,000 range that did not have them and the grips otherwise looked 100% original. Understand that like any production there would be baskets of grips already done but not assembled into pistols and those being made under German occupation. The FN workers under German control likely did not sort through grips, they just brought in a basket or dumped a basket on top of another.

GP.35 grips generally went through these production changes:

Pre-war Belgian FN - orange paint backed walnut
German occupation - early orange paint backed (leftover pre-war stocks); to unpainted backs (somewhere in late WaA103); to brown phenolic resin (mid to late b block)
Postwar- immediate postwar, orange paint backed to red paint backed; T series 60s and on, shellac / clear sealant; then MkIIs and MkIIIs resin and plastic of various types with walnut clear sealant.

All of this is just me talking out of my a$$ from what I recall in the Vandelinden book and my observations. His book would yield more definite and detailed information.

At some point post-war they did go back to red painted grips. I have a NIB T-series from 1967 with red backed grips. Guaranteed 100 percent original.

At some point post-war they did go back to red painted grips. I have a NIB T-series from 1967 with red backed grips. Guaranteed 100 percent original.

They did, quickly, as in almost immediately. It was a FN manufacturing requirement for the pistol. The general rule is that if the grips don't have a heavy polyurethane / varnish finish then they should be red paint backed on postwar production. I have a T-series 1968 NIB as well and while it has polyurethane finish on the walnut grips it may even be red paint backed.

Is it known when did Germans stop painting inside of the grips orange. I am trying to figure out if 57k range WaA613 without painted grips is correct.

Thanks, Jack

In direct response Jack, It could very well be correct. If the grips look correct and original to it, hugged down, same wear, etc., I wouldn't go changing them out. That pistol could have been leaving the factory when a basket of new made grips were dumped on top of that grip basket. Though it is "generally thought" that a WaA613 pistol would have orange backed grips.

Heres mine not sure if it helps or not lol

Attachments

• 20210503_222211.jpg
    20210503_222211.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210503_222151.jpg
    20210503_222151.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210503_222116.jpg
    20210503_222116.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210503_222022.jpg
    20210503_222022.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210503_222001.jpg
    20210503_222001.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210503_221956.jpg
    20210503_221956.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210503_221925.jpg
    20210503_221925.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 18
Thanks. I think those are postwar replacement grips. That late pistol would have had resin grips.

cpw will know, as president of the HP collector's association and having the biggest and rarest collection known, about 200 including number one and those with a swing link like a 1911 and those with small ejection ports, rare cotracts, etc.. He and mr V. did not see eye to eye on many things, including Radoms, his knowledge is written down somewhere I hope, . We must not loose that knowledge. I have told him so but he stays very busy. We set up toghe often at SOS and NGD and for many years. I would use him over mr V anytime. He is at the top of the field IMO and I have seen much of his collection. He need not write a book, those that know him and his collection of both Radoms and Brownings know who the source is. If you see his collection, which he displays both type pistols at times, you will also know very quickly.

I asked him this exact question 16 or more years ago and he had no definite answer. I have looked at many and it seems that the paint was come and go for quite a while. They all needed it IMO. I had a mid production gun, and early A block IIRC and it did not have the paint. All around the edges of where the paint should be, it had light pitting. They needed it and it was stupid to not use it. The workers at FN probably could care less unless they had a Nazi pistol at their head and someone knew what should be.

Would there be a serial number inside the grips?

No, I have never seen it.

I am sure AV is an outstanding source but Charlie is a friend and I have seen some stuff he has that is one off and I will go with him every time.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back