Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning High Power grips

Default Browning High Power grips

Is it known when did Germans stop painting inside of the grips orange. I am trying to figure out if 57k range WaA613 without painted grips is correct.

Thanks, Jack

I buy capture paper guns ugafx4's Avatar

I'm not certain there is a solid delineation of where the paint stops, but at 57k I would personally be comfortable with non painted grips.

Not hijacking this thread but what would a 1818xx have on it. Looking for a set of correct grips for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleanbore 1 View Post
    Not hijacking this thread but what would a 1818xx have on it. Looking for a set of correct grips for it.
    Regular walnut grips without orange painted backs.

The paint on the backs of the grips was to prevent moisture. According to Anthony Vanderlinden in his excellent (you need them) FN pistol book, the painted backs of the grips, a German occupied production austerity measure, started about the middle to back end of WaA103 production. However, I've seen WaA613 pistols in the 50,000 range that did not have them and the grips otherwise looked 100% original. Understand that like any production there would be baskets of grips already done but not assembled into pistols and those being made under German occupation. The FN workers under German control likely did not sort through grips, they just brought in a basket or dumped a basket on top of another.

GP.35 grips generally went through these production changes:

Pre-war Belgian FN - orange paint backed walnut
    German occupation - early orange paint backed (leftover pre-war stocks); to unpainted backs (somewhere in late WaA103); to brown phenolic resin (mid to late b block)
    Postwar- immediate postwar, orange paint backed to red paint backed; T series 60s and on, shellac / clear sealant; then MkIIs and MkIIIs resin and plastic of various types with walnut clear sealant.

All of this is just me talking out of my ass from what I recall in the Vandelinden book and my observations. His book would yield more definite and detailed information.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

At some point post-war they did go back to red painted grips. I have a NIB T-series from 1967 with red backed grips. Guaranteed 100 percent original.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    At some point post-war they did go back to red painted grips. I have a NIB T-series from 1967 with red backed grips. Guaranteed 100 percent original.
    They did, quickly, as in almost immediately. It was a FN manufacturing requirement for the pistol. The general rule is that if the grips don't have a heavy polyurethane / varnish finish then they should be red paint backed on postwar production. I have a T-series 1968 NIB as well and while it has polyurethane finish on the walnut grips it may even be red paint backed.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Thank you for all your informative answers.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by tokarev38 View Post
    Is it known when did Germans stop painting inside of the grips orange. I am trying to figure out if 57k range WaA613 without painted grips is correct.

Thanks, Jack
    In direct response Jack, It could very well be correct. If the grips look correct and original to it, hugged down, same wear, etc., I wouldn't go changing them out. That pistol could have been leaving the factory when a basket of new made grips were dumped on top of that grip basket. Though it is "generally thought" that a WaA613 pistol would have orange backed grips.

Thank you Sir

Heres mine not sure if it helps or not lol
    Attached Images Attached Images