Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polish Model 98a (long Rifle)

Default Polish Model 98a (long Rifle)

Finally able to locate a reasonably priced version of what I believe is the final Polish version of their model 98 long rifle.
    Polish rifle manufacturing in the interwar period is quite interesting. When they decided to standardize on the mauser
    design, they copied the German Kar 98a and produced the K98. Then decided they needed a long rifle, so they copied the
    German Gew. 98 and produced the W.98. Next they went back to the then current trend of short rifles and adopted the K29/WZ29.
    And finally in 1936, reintroduced the long rifle as the W.Z.98a, basically a W.98 with an improved tanget rear sight. Apparently in an attempt to
    speed production of the W98a, they modified existing stocks of former Gew.98s by removing the imperial German marks, including the sidewall
    markings and then stamped them with Polish arsenal marks and the Polish eagle, the sidewall was simply stamped 98a. I should have prefaced all
    the above by saying this is my understanding from reading what I can find on Polish mausers and speaking with other Polish collectors. I stand to be corrected on any or all of it.

I have heard it said that the scrubbed receivers on examples of 98a rifles indicate use in the Spanish Civil war, as is true with the k29/WZ29 series.
    But these rifles were just coming into use as the Spanish war was ending, so I do not adhere to that theory.

The first photos are group shots of the three versions of Polish long rifles, then details of the 98a. I have previously posted details of the two
    previous versions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by runner; 03-26-2021 at 10:55 PM.

Details of model 98a (reworked Gew. 98)

While for the most part, original Gew. 98 parts are retained, The barrel and rear sight appear to
    be of new Polish manufacture.

Stock and fittings for Polish 98a.

The correct bolt for this variation, would be an Imperial bolt with added Polish markings, usually a Polish eagle stamped on the bolt knob.
    If anyone has one, I would certainly be interested.

Thatís a neat study in Polish variations, Iíll be honest the sidewall simply marked 98a was new to me, thanks for posting, sure is an interesting rifle!
    Looking for commercials

Is this the rifle you were talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerst View Post
    Is this the rifle you were talking about?
    No, This is not a gew. 98b

Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Thatís a neat study in Polish variations, Iíll be honest the sidewall simply marked 98a was new to me, thanks for posting, sure is an interesting rifle!
    Strangely enough, I was at a small show today, and two very interesting Polish rifles showed up. One was a 98a, it had its original Imperial German bolt marked by the poles with their Eagle. They had also
    stamped the stock. The barreled receiver was marked just like my example.

The other, which I would need to see more closely, appeared to be, an Imperial German Gew 98 that was taken into service by the Poles and marked with their triangle Z on the top of the receiver and a Polish eagle. The maker was not scrubbed from the top of the receiver. Then recaptured by the Germans and converted to K98k configuration. I only got a brief look, and no pictures. But for a rifle with this life span, it had an almost new appearance. Deep blue and the shiny stock. I think it was either a correct rifle that was refinished, or a fantasy piece. My first impression was the former. Both of these were snapped up by the same gentleman before I arrived. IF the Gew./K98k is still there tomorrow I will try to get more details, but I don't think pictures will be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by runner View Post
    No, This is not a gew. 98b
    No, the Polish rifle the guy who lives near you had.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerst View Post
    No, the Polish rifle the guy who lives near you had.
    Ok , my bad. The guy here in Virginia only had the stock and bolt, not a complete rifle. See my post asking for help on stock markings.
    He brought me the stock today, supposed to bring the bolt tomorrow.