Third Party Press

hello gentlemen

conibear

good morning all,

just purchased a k98 for 600 and I am shamelessly reading this forum to determine if I've been fleeced.

receiver has a single rune SS ZZA4, bnz 43 with the crossed sword x stamped on it. serial 8972 it came with a 45 crs bayonet and cof 44 scabbard. it's in cosmoline and the guy i bought it from got it from his uncle 25 years ago. any help would be appreciatwd.20210326_184655.jpg

Attachments

• 20210325_164057.jpg
    20210325_164057.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210326_183403.jpg
    20210326_183403.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 23
good morning all,

just purchased a k98 for 600 and I am shamelessly reading this forum to determine if I've been fleeced.

receiver has a single rune SS ZZA4, bnz 43 with the crossed sword x stamped on it. serial 8972 it came with a 45 crs bayonet and cof 44 scabbard. it's in cosmoline and the guy i bought it from got it from his uncle 25 years ago. any help would be appreciatwd.View attachment 263745

Hi conibear, you have bought a Russian Capture K98k and, apparently, you paid the right price.
Have a look at this recent thread: https://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?45895-SSZZA-marking-on-RC-k98

20210326_184655.jpg

a close up of the 'rune', two days ago I had never read the word rune in my life, now I use it like a know-it-all expert. lol

The bayonet is the money maker in your purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah roger that Mike. I saw the $600 and RC and THEN the bayo so yeah to the OP you did fine. Even with any issues it's a better deal than most nowadays.

Yeah roger that Mike. I saw the $600 and RC and THEN the bayo so yeah to the OP you did fine. Even with any issues it's a better deal than most nowadays.

20210325_164103.jpg20210325_164057.jpg

here are a couple pics of the bayonet, the scabbard doesn't match it
thank you guys for replying and sharing your knowledge, I love this rifle even with the crazy sloppy lacquer all over it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i searched it and found out they didn't make many, no clue what it's worth.though. this is my firat Mauser and this rifle is amazing, I want to shoot an antelope with it this fall in Wyoming, sans bayonet.

thanks for your reply appreciate it

..I want to shoot an antelope with it this fall in Wyoming, sans bayonet.

Not sure what range you're shooting pronghorns at in Wyoming? 4 years ago I dumped a 200+ live weight 8 pointer in PA with my byf43 RC using the heavy Serb FMJ (my bad should have been the SP) at just about 215 meters. I held just at the top of the shoulder. Funny I actually made it about 185 by my reckoning. I had GPS'd my shooting spot and photographed it from both sides of the engagement so I was able to more accurately range it later. I feel like if you can group 5 at 3" or under at 100 you'll be good to go. Now if those lopes are 500 meters away???

Not sure what range you're shooting pronghorns at in Wyoming? 4 years ago I dumped a 200+ live weight 8 pointer in PA with my byf43 RC using the heavy Serb FMJ (my bad should have been the SP) at just about 215 meters. I held just at the top of the shoulder. Funny I actually made it about 185 by my reckoning. I had GPS'd my shooting spot and photographed it from both sides of the engagement so I was able to more accurately range it later. I feel like if you can group 5 at 3" or under at 100 you'll be good to go. Now if those lopes are 500 meters away???

i shot three doe pronghorn at less than 100 meters last year, think I can pull it off

very informative to read about your hunting bullet, thanks

..very informative to read about your hunting bullet, thanks

It's 'informative' in what NOT to do... LOL. While it worked and dropped him the problem was with the FMJ and lack of any expansion. I blew a clean through and through on both lungs (thankfully) but that's not really what you'd like. I had both the FMJ and SP together and they kind of look the same. Not really but I'll tell myself that so I feel better.

I do have a nice photo spread of what FMJ does to lung tissue... And it's not something you're going to shake off. Final exit is tennis ball sized. I think mostly shock wave as the projectile was never recovered.

It's 'informative' in what NOT to do... LOL. While it worked and dropped him the problem was with the FMJ and lack of any expansion. I blew a clean through and through on both lungs (thankfully) but that's not

i hunt with solid copper Barnes TTSX but they are in essence a hollow pount, I'll find some nice mushy soft lead for this, thanks again

From all you've said I'm sure you'll be fine. The 8mm Mauser even with the wimpy 170 gr 'lawyer loads' from Remington or Federal are more than capable again most any North American game animal. My only thoughts (and concerns) revolved around the range of engagement. Once you get beyond a few hundred yards bullet drop becomes a major concern. Sounds like you're all good. And if you're like me there's something satisfying about using that old war weapon to harvest an animal for the freezer.

Military Rifle Journal
Back