Third Party Press

value estimate, Soviet capture bnz43, thank you in advance

conibear

happy Saturday gentlemen, just bought a beautiful (to me) rifle, it's my first and i paid.600 including the bayonet.

SS ZZA4 is stamped on left side of receiver, bnz 43 is stamped on top of receiver, 45 crs is stamped on bayonet and cof 44 is stamped on scabbard. the serial number on the receiver is 8972 and there is a bullseye with a W in it and 41S stamped on the underside of the barrel where it meets receiver.

did I get ripped off? any advice is really appreciated, it's Russian captured.20210325_164427.jpg

Stock has been changed I believe.
Picture is tough but $600 sounds reasonable to me...but I’m the new guy.
What makes you think RC? The Swazi peening? As far as I know the Russians didn’t really make an effort to do that but others did.
More pics would be cool being a BNZ/BYF slappy.

20210326_183403.jpg

a gentleman on this forum taught me it's a Soviet capture, the little x or crossed swords I guess signifies it.?

View attachment 263766View attachment 263767View attachment 263768

i just found the bayonet forum on here, but if you have any details could you teach me about this?

also, would it matter if i re-do the finish on the stock?

Hi again conibear, about refinishing the stock, there's a saying here : "after all, it's your rifle".
Your Russian Capture (RC) shall be enjoyed for what it is : it could be a shooter, not a collectible rifle with all-matching parts.
Like all good things in life, K98ks will one day run out (although 14 mln copies were made) and what you have is a 80-year old piece of history.
My piece of advice: please refrain from making it neat and shiny. There are a plenty of cleaning tips on the forum to preserve your rifle, without damaging it.

Hi again conibear, about refinishing the stock, there's a saying here : "after all, it's your rifle".
Your Russian Capture (RC) shall be enjoyed for what it is : it could be a shooter, not a collectible rifle with all-matching parts.
Like all good things in life, K98ks will one day run out (although 14 mln copies were made) and what you have is a 80-year old piece of history.
My piece of advice: please refrain from makin

g it neat and shiny. There are a plenty of cleaning tips on the forum to preserve your rifle, without damaging it.

noted and heeded, as sloppy as this lacquer is, it is historic and I won't molest it. I had notions of very carefully taking it on an antelope hunt in Wyoming, but the more I read on here, I'm going to place it with 'Storm of Steel' by Ernst Junger and leave it be. Thanks for the intervention. :)

happy Saturday gentlemen, just bought a beautiful (to me) rifle, it's my first and i paid.600 including the bayonet.

SS ZZA4 is stamped on left side of receiver, bnz 43 is stamped on top of receiver, 45 crs is stamped on bayonet and cof 44 is stamped on scabbard. the serial number on the receiver is 8972 and there is a bullseye with a W in it and 41S stamped on the underside of the barrel where it meets receiver.

did I get ripped off? any advice is really appreciated, it's Russian captured.View attachment 263755

Yes you were ripped off,,,, you underpaid by a couple hundred bucks.

Congratulations.

The 45crs bayonet alone could be worth $600, even with a mismatched scabbard. It is a VERY desirable bayonet!!

Could you please show us any other markings you can find on the barrel and receiver? Look all over the receiver too, especially areas hidden by the stock.

Sent from my top secret official Bunker of the Order of the Def’s Hed.

The 45crs bayonet alone could be worth $600, even with a mismatched scabbard. It is a VERY desirable bayonet!!

Could you please show us any other markings you can find on the barrel and receiver? Loo20210328_174206.jpg20210328_174217.jpg20210328_174232.jpg20210328_174232.jpgk all over the receiver too, especially areas hidden by the stock the Sl stamping are

Sent from my top secret official Bunker of the Order of the Def’s Hed.

some additional pics, anything you know is appreciated thank you

Why am I absolutely drawing a blank here...?
Which part is showing on the left?
Is that the rear action screw?

Attachments

• 3B206B3A-2464-49EA-9D58-C8B2626FD68D.jpg
    3B206B3A-2464-49EA-9D58-C8B2626FD68D.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 36
Looks like the steel sleeve that the rear action screw goes through to me.

Yes it does now that you say that but in hindsight I have zero knowledge of this stock type.
It is a picture but it seems to “lack depth” for that but you’re probably right.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back