Third Party Press

Thread: Help with Stock marking I.D.

Default Help with Stock marking I.D.

This is a Gew. 98 length stock, which was sold to me as Polish, which I don't think it is. It is also not
    Imperial German. Perhaps Weimar era?

The eagle on the bottom of the grip appears to have a K16 underneath it. On the right side of the stock, where
    acceptance marks would be on an Imperial rifle, there is an elongated rectangle that has 34 in the right side, whatever,
    if anything that was in the left side is not legible.
    On the bottom of the stock where you would expect the sn to be, there are four numbers, 2493, running the length
    of the stock, not across it as on Imperial stocks. This number is not the same as the sn that is plainly stamped
    inside the barrel channel.
    The recoil lug does not have an Imperial acceptance stamp.
    The buttplate is too corroded to have visible markings.

After repairing the duffle cut, I had hoped to use this to replace the Imperial stock
    on my Polish W.Z.98a, but this one may not be any more correct.

All help help/suggestions appreciated.

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

No it's Polish. The stock marking on the side is probably ZW.?.34 from Zbrojownia No.2 Warszawa (sometimes they marked stocks ZBR.2 also). It was reworked there in 1934. The Kl6 is probably after repair at HZa Kassel around 1939/1940.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post
    No it's Polish. The stock marking on the side is probably ZW.?.34 from Zbrojownia No.2 Warszawa (sometimes they marked stocks ZBR.2 also). It was reworked there in 1934. The Kl6 is probably after repair at HZa Kassel around 1939/1940.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Ryan,, you made my day. If you are ever in Richmond Virginia, I owe you a beer, or three..

Now to get that duffle cut fixed.

I agree with Ryan, nice stock too.

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post
    You guys are amazing. You blow my mine on the regular with your knowledge of these things. Jeez. You too Paul! One of the trend meisters.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"