Third Party Press
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Amoskeag auction

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Current Amoskeag auction

I am sure some of you are watching this auction. Will be interesting to see how many of these rifles hit Gunbroker under the plethora of resellers, with the lead chump being Mauser Wz.29 followed by Southern Surplus and Commonwealth Arms.

Three dealer opportunists who mess up the whole deal.

Not sure if you are aware of it but Rock Island Auction is now buying from 2nd tier auctions and remarketing as well. Case in point being the Japanese Type 5 that was purchased at Centurian and the bnz single claw now up on their premier auction that was purchased at Amoskeag.

As I stated earlier, its one thing to compete against collectors but when you are now facing pressure from GB resellers and now RIA...just amazing.

I guess money draws the vultures..its going to be a very tough world for our young collectors. Heck my resources are limited and I am forced to move some duplicates to finance some recent
    purchases. That's my editorial for this morning.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----

#doomandgloom

Until buyers refuse to pay the price it will continue, or when the entire economy crashes.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

i was watching... This auction was quite different than the NOV auction with basically the same type of stuff. Vince's collection part 2.

Im glad to see you grabbed a few and I noticed an up tick in prices paid. Some crazy but hey thats an auction and thats why people do auctions.

These houses and retailers live and breath on new inventory.. I thought Commonwealth A. would scale down buying after their last lack luster flip session but , like most they work off %% and the overall picture.

The hits level off the misses and an average is acceptable. Its like that in most companies. In a public setting with a open system this is really nothing new but more visible now as everything is seen and tracked.

One thing we can say here is some collectors still look out for other collectors and want to see them end up with items their looking for...

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bruce98k View Post
    ..the lead chump being Mauser Wz.29
    Yup. Everything about him stinks... including his bullshit story about who he is and what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce98k View Post
    ..I guess money draws the vultures..
    Vultures... locusts.. They'll continue until the entire carcass collapses and then move onto something else to destroy. They are a pariah and know as much despite the occasional defense about what they're doing to 'help the hobby'. They are in it for the money and will squeeze the last nickle out of a dead mans hand.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

#doomandgloom

Also these higher prices aren't just in firearms, but damn near across all collectibles. Especially sportscards. I was pleasantly surprised to see that all the unopened wax boxes and cases, that at one point I considered putting in the dumpster, are through the roof in price. 1986 Topps Football unopened Wax box $7,500 average sale price. Lucky for me that is when I started collecting heavily. Even 1989 stuff is worth something. Especially Upper Deck Baseball at $15k+ a case. I have 5 cases left from the original 12 I bought. They went from $600 a case when I bought them, to $4k a case, to $400 a case, and quickly. I have a storage unit full of wax cases from 1986-91. It is the wild swings in sportscards and other collectibles that has always made me so hesitant about firearms prices. This time I am selling rather than storing and moving them anymore.

Vintage graded cards are even more insane. 1955 Topps Clemente and Koufax Rookies even in PSA-7 grade are fetching $16k-$50k. PSA-9 Over $1M for a Clemente.

I suppose the free government money combined with the government propping up the stock market and high stock prices are what is driving prices in collectible markets. Will it last? I don't know anymore. Never thought the government would print more money in a year than in the previous 243 years combined.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

Imagine how I feel. I have been attending this auction since they were a small outfit off the town circle in Milford, NH back when the owner now Jason Devine's FATHER ran the show. No online BS. Some collectors came from all over but still was a small operation. NOW Everyone knows about it and competition is off the charts. The auction is right here in my home town too. I've lost MANY rifles to forum members here but have said nothing when I see them show up here later for "show and tell". I used to get good rifles for good deals but have just stopped going now. Too much competition drives up the prices and not to forget "J.T" I call him. He looks like 1980's James Taylor and he bids on anything and everything German and is either a proxy for a big time collector or has deep pockets himself. The old "hometown auction" is a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Yup. Everything about him stinks... including his bullshit story about who he is and what he does.

Vultures... locusts.. They'll continue until the entire carcass collapses and then move onto something else to destroy. They are a pariah and know as much despite the occasional defense about what they're doing to 'help the hobby'. They are in it for the money and will squeeze the last nickle out of a dead mans hand.
    That wz 29 is probably one of the worst he'll ask five times what something is worth and he'll just sit on that stuff. I don't see how he makes money sitting on items for years. But I'll be honest it gets old seeing the same 30 k98k rifles for sale on GunBroker from the same two sellers that they just keep listing over and over again. They would be deep in the hole if GunBroker was charging them at $20 fee everytime the item was relisted.

But I'll be honest who wants to pay only four people in the collecting world $6,000 for a byf 44 when it's listed on GunBroker. And truth be told it's getting harder and harder to find nice k98k rifles at the shows anymore when those same Big Time dealers are going to those as well. I have scored a couple of them though, and boy did I piss off some of those big time dealers lol!

But always remember this guy's the best deals are done behind closed doors between friends. I have many people here to thank for nice rifles in my collection. And I'm glad rifles from my own collection were sold to many different members here.
    Last edited by Warrior1354; 03-28-2021 at 11:49 AM.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by capt14k View Post
    Until buyers refuse to pay the price it will continue
    I think that's the solution in a nutshell, Cap'n -- resistance. It works for other things, too.

But as our Pastor often says, "That kind of thing preaches easier than it lives..."

Richie

I buy capture paper guns ugafx4's Avatar

Screenshot_20210327-160121_Chrome.jpg

I think the prices are reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by mowzerluvr View Post
    Imagine how I feel. I have been attending this auction since they were a small outfit off the town circle in Milford, NH back when the owner now Jason Devine's FATHER ran the show. No online BS. Some collectors came from all over but still was a small operation. NOW Everyone knows about it and competition is off the charts. The auction is right here in my home town too. I've lost MANY rifles to forum members here but have said nothing when I see them show up here later for "show and tell". I used to get good rifles for good deals but have just stopped going now. Too much competition drives up the prices and not to forget "J.T" I call him. He looks like 1980's James Taylor and he bids on anything and everything German and is either a proxy for a big time collector or has deep pockets himself. The old "hometown auction" is a thing of the past.
    This is really sad to hear I guess my dreams of getting a BYF 41 is probably just that just a dream. I have to say the rifle I purchased here a week or so ago was really nice and I'm glad I got it. I now have all 4 books and am learning more every day I just hope I'm in the right place at the right time when and if one ever comes available. And I'll always be keeping my eye out for the BSW rifles you like my friend. Eric