Third Party Press
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Amoskeag auction

Yeah the prices for 1989 Pro set, and a lot of similar sets made right in the middle of the junk wax era when manufacturers were determined to print enough product so every man, woman and child in the country could own a set. You used to be able to find that and others from that era for easily for around $5.00 a box or less not that long ago.
    Currently looking for quality, matching, as issued, ww2 Soviet rifles and handguns.

Since this has morphed into sports cards collecting, tell me if I missed an opportunity. I know nothing about collecting baseball cards. But as I was getting out of the Navy and needed to sell one of my cars (a 1965 Mustang V8 coupe that needed some work) I had some guy call me, ask one question about the car, then hang up. He did this 4 maybe 5 times over a weeks period, ask a single question, then hang up without saying anything else, not even "thanks" or "goodbye". He called once more, but this time he said he had $10k worth of baseball cards he wanted to trade for the car. This was the late 90's and my asking price for the car was $3500. I wasn't sure if he meant the whole baseball card collection or just part of it. But I knew nothing about collecting those and didn't want to take a chance he would dump off worthless junk and was also thinking that if they were worth that much, find a buyer and bring me the cash.
    Anybody think I turned down a good deal?

Not me. Heard the baseball card market flopped quite awhile back. Same for the Nascar diecast cars my son and I sank some money into. made a zillion of em. We can eat em now.

#doomandgloom

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder196 View Post
    Since this has morphed into sports cards collecting, tell me if I missed an opportunity. I know nothing about collecting baseball cards. But as I was getting out of the Navy and needed to sell one of my cars (a 1965 Mustang V8 coupe that needed some work) I had some guy call me, ask one question about the car, then hang up. He did this 4 maybe 5 times over a weeks period, ask a single question, then hang up without saying anything else, not even "thanks" or "goodbye". He called once more, but this time he said he had $10k worth of baseball cards he wanted to trade for the car. This was the late 90's and my asking price for the car was $3500. I wasn't sure if he meant the whole baseball card collection or just part of it. But I knew nothing about collecting those and didn't want to take a chance he would dump off worthless junk and was also thinking that if they were worth that much, find a buyer and bring me the cash.
    Anybody think I turned down a good deal?
    If they were truly worth $10k at that time and weren't a bunch of junk commons or wax, yes they would be worth a lot more.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

#doomandgloom

Quote Originally Posted by Remfan View Post
    Not me. Heard the baseball card market flopped quite awhile back. Same for the Nascar diecast cars my son and I sank some money into. made a zillion of em. We can eat em now.
    It did flop and it has roared back with a vengeance.

Here are a couple examples.

A couple Koufax in detail.
    The $1M card is Clemente Rookie.
    Both from 1955 Topps set which I have a complete set put together years ago.
    The $100 Upper Deck is for an empty wax box.

Grading I always hated and it ruined the hobby for me along with too many sets. However that is how cards get top value. Found out today that BBCE is a company certifying the wax box and then sealing it which sounds like the dumbest thing going. Especially foil packs which 1989 Upper Deck were.

And yes the 1989 Proset I couldn't sell for $100 a case and now it's getting a $100 a box.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

This thread is now well away from its original intent, but here is a piece of cardboard that is going for the price of a decent k98k. And it's only a PSA 7.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Pokemo...IAAOSwWf1gSGfB

For the price of a PSA 10 (albeit Japanese edition), you can pick up a nice G43:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Pokemo...sAAOSwxJJgV95U

(Hopefully these ongoing auctions are okay, being that they're so far removed from what we do here.) Card collecting gets crazy wherever it occurs, but those Baseball card prices are something else.
    Last edited by mb44kar; 03-31-2021 at 03:31 PM.

Back to the original post.

Scum sucking dogs can and have destroyed collectible markets for all matter of items.

Just remember SS helmets and the ass wipes selling phony shit wonder weapon methods to " authenticate" crap & jack up prices .......

Never ever spend money that you can not afford to lose, or risk financial adversity, that might hurt your family.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDavis View Post
    Back to the original post.

Scum sucking dogs can and have destroyed collectible markets for all matter of items.

Just remember SS helmets and the ass wipes selling phony shit wonder weapon methods to " authenticate" crap & jack up prices .......

Never ever spend money that you can not afford to lose, or risk financial adversity, that might hurt your family.
    I totally agree with Dave, never convince yourself that your hobby is a financial investment. I own three 1964 Chevelle Super Sports. One heavily modified that I drive, one basically stock that is my "car show"
    car, and one that is all original but in rough shape. That last one I paid $9500 for three years ago, I'm selling it next week for $13,000, nice profit right? If I included all the NOS parts I have put into it, the cost of some work that I had to farm out to professionals, and the cost to insure it for the past three years, I might be breaking even, and that means all my personal labor was "free". I would have done much better putting that $9500 into the S&P $500. I feel the same about K98ks, if we get lucky with the timing and make some money when we sell, that is a plus, but never plan on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce98k View Post
    I am sure some of you are watching this auction.
    Does anyone know if they actually let people in to inspect and bid at this auction?
    I used to go to these just for the learning experience and entertainment. Then they shut down the hall to on site bidding due to Covid.
    Phone bidding was always a thing, but when they introduced online bidding, it got really hard to compete.
    Consigning there was always a crap shoot, even if you were selling say, a Ruger 10/22, chances were you had to explain to the employee exactly what they were looking at.
    Do not annoy the gods, for they are an irritable and vengeful bunch.

I had a funny Beanie Baby experience about 8 years ago. My daughter was 6 and we were hitting the antique and junk shops in rural Virginia. They had some dusty ass Beanie Babies in a box up front in this old house and one was evidently "rare" "The Puffin" and it had the tags and everything, NOS. So we get up the register and my wife is buying something and the lady sees my little girl and hands her The Puffin as a gift (It was $1.50). The older guy and his wife behind us had evidently been heavy Beanie Baby collectors as he said, "oh my, that's The Puffin! And it has the tags and all!, that's rare!" right as I was yanking the tags off and handing it back to my daughter (who had asked me to take the tags off). That guy almost fainted when I yanked off the tags. The dog eventually ended up shitting out most of The Puffin, though we never found its eyes.

It was this one:
    puffin.JPGpuffin 2.JPG
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945