Third Party Press

45 crs bayonet value? Thank you in advance.

conibear

Good afternoon from Oregon,

Kind of redundant, but I just found this thread. I bought a K98 and a bayonet for 600 and the kind members on this forum are saying this bayonet was the good part of the deal. Any ideas of value would be appreciated, although I'm instantly loving this rufle/bayonet and want to keep everything.

bayonet is serial 5170, 45 crs and there is a tiny stamp on the pommel I can't read. The blade has a slight bend at the end.

the scabbard is cof 44, serial 1621 with a little 'M' under it.

I very carefully disassembled the bayonet and soaked all metal parts in KROIL overnight to target little areas of rust. I gently cleaned the handle slabs with a mild cleaner.

Any experts who can share a value? Thanks guys, this forum has been incredible, the knowledge on here is amazing.

20210328_124208.jpg20210328_124212.jpg

Thats a hit,certainly very rare piece,unfortunally not match but looks like nice condition,cof44 could be mixed by capturing,certainly Your rifle has smaller value as this bayonet.WaA519 should be on pommel.

Thats a hit,certainly very rare piece,unfortunally not match but looks like nice condition,cof44 could be mixed by capturing,certainly Your rifle has smaller value as this bayonet.

thank you Andy, the rifle was a Soviet capture and from what I've learned on here they're a grab bag of mismatched parts.

Question is the rifle and bayonet when were joined together probably not when K98k is russian rework,the bayonet here is in origin condition,russians melted down the captured bayonets, or saled for export,this could be a US Gi bringback,prior this time i didnt have reported one 45crs from Russia.

Congratulations on the 45crs. It is a rare and very desirable piece. Value is difficult to establish as they are so seldom offered for sale. By serial numbers observed there were only approximately 8000 pieces produced. The highest values are for examples with matching scabbards in collectable condition - unsharpened, no damage, missing parts, or pitting, etc. Earlier this year a matching 45crs with a heavily sharpened blade sold on ebay as a BiN for $4000. A lightly sharpened matching example sold for $5000 at the 2019 SOS. An excellent condition out of the woodwork matching piece brought $6500 last year. The last bayonet only that have information for sold on another forum for $1800 a couple of years ago.

Congratulations on the 45crs. It is a rare and very desirable piece. Value is difficult to establish as they are so seldom offered for sale. By serial numbers observed there were only approximately 8000 pieces produced. The highest values are for examples with matching scabbards in collectable condition - unsharpened, no damage, missing parts, or pitting, etc. Earlier this year a matching 45crs with a heavily sharpened blade sold on ebay as a BiN for $4000. A lightly sharpened matching example sold for $5000 at the 2019 SOS. An excellent condition out of the woodwork matching piece brought $6500 last year. The last bayonet only that have information for sold on another forum for $1800 a couple of years ago.

Thanks Slash. I'm stunned here. Knowledge you guys posses is admirable. You guys are all like museum curators. I talked him down from 700 to 600 for the rifle and this, so I did not get fleeced. There is a slight bend at the blade end, so I did not hit the lottery. 20210328_124315.jpg20210328_124302.jpg20210328_124249.jpg

Congratulations on your find. This proves there are still hidden treasures to find, even in Oregon. Guess I just do not go to the right places.

Congratulations on your find. This proves there are still hidden treasures to find, even in Oregon. Guess I just do not go to the right places.

my neighbor knows I hunt alot, one day we were talking guns and he dragged over the mauser wrapped in a towel, i said i'd buy it if he ever wanted to sell it, a year later he said i could buy it. I had no idea if I was over-paying. I have so little trust in people that I wouldn't have bought it if he wasn't my buddy.

this rifle opened up a historic portal, I'm really facinated in all the markings. I need to find out what the bullseye with the W in it means, it's stamped under the barrel.

..I need to find out what the bullseye with the W in it means, it's stamped under the barrel.

It's a part of the 'barrel code' indicating (usually) blank supplier, steel lot code, year of manufacture and finisher including acceptance of specific process or maching steps. In your case that bullseye is the Steyr trademark of the time indicating in house finishing of a blank supplied by Silesiastahl (Si) produced in 1941.

it's a part of the 'barrel code' indicating (usually) blank supplier, steel lot code, year of manufacture and finisher including acceptance of specific process or maching steps. In your case that bullseye is the steyr trademark of the time indicating in house finishing of a blank supplied by silesiastahl (si) produced in 1941.

thank you!

Very nice, wish it was mine!

And also enjoyable to see another ‘45 bayo come out of the woodwork. Been a long spell since the last one turned up or was posted.

Very nice, wish it was mine!

And also enjoyable to see another ‘45 bayo come out of the woodwork. Been a long spell since the last one turned up or was posted.

Since last Thursday, thanks to 'Slash', I've learned alot about this bayonet. I searched it online just trying to see what it's worth (out of curiosity) and virtually nothing comes up. I can't even imagine the conditions it was manufactured under.

Thanks to all on this board who generously share their knowledge.

Last edited:
my neighbor knows I hunt alot, one day we were talking guns and he dragged over the mauser wrapped in a towel, i said i'd buy it if he ever wanted to sell it, a year later he said i could buy it. I had no idea if I was over-paying. I have so little trust in people that I wouldn't have bought it if he wasn't my buddy.

this rifle opened up a historic portal, I'm really facinated in all the markings. I need to find out what the bullseye with the W in it means, it's stamped under the barrel.

Should see if your neighbour is able to shed any light on how he came to own it, or knows anything of its history of who brought it home from the war. Not that it matters at all for this piece, but just as a point of interest for it.

Last edited:
Should see if your neighbour is able to shed any light on how he came to own it, or knows anything of its history of who brought it home from the war. Not that it matters at all for this piece, but just as a point of interest for it.

he's 75 years old has no clue where his uncle got it. his uncle died 20 years ago and that's when my neighbor got it.

it'll remain a mystery, but I'm going to use this forum.to put the pieces together. thank you

Military Rifle Journal
Back