Third Party Press

Chinese K98k contract Research: A review and a supplement to Bruce&Michael's

Mauser order entry and order acknowledegement

Just received these from Jon.
The hand written entry from March 1930 shows the first order of 5000 Standard Modells for China which were routed through the Carlowitz firm.
The 2nd document segment is a follow up order for 10,000 rifles in 1931 again using the Carlowitz firm.

Attachments

• P1140453.jpg
    P1140453.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 35
  • P1140457.jpg
    P1140457.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 41
The hand written entry from March 1930 shows the first order of 5000 Standard Modells for China which were routed through the Carlowitz firm.
The 2nd document segment is a follow up order for 10,000 rifles in 1931 again using the Carlowitz firm.

Thanks!

I only confirmed a Nationalist Government contract of 10000 rifles in 1934. Several reports and telegraphs dated 1936 show Guangdong and Guangxi Provincial government ordered around 20000 rifles from Germany. Nationalist Government asked Germans not to deliver the rifles.

Attached document segment is 1934 Nationalist Gov contract.
In red square reads from top to botton: 7.9 Cal Mauser Rifle, 10000 pieces, German Oberndorf Factory, signed date 1934.4.23, German Mark 550000.00
1934 Mauser Oberndorf rifle.png

Last edited:

Hi Bruce

Thank you for your post and Mr. Speed's help!

Another question is Finnish K98k contract. I've never heard of wide use of Mauser small arms (K98k etc) in Finland. In FY 37/38 and 38/39 Finland suddenly became an important buyer.

After May 1938, Chinese orders were transported by a Finnish company under the cover of "Finnish Government Contract" as reported by Chinese Representative in Berlin. So, any chance that the Finnish contract actually might be Chinese orders.

This is some seriously impressive research here guys! Thank you for sharing. I own a 50’s era Chinese produced K98 so I’m interested in the Chinese K98 “angle.”

Sent from my top secret official Bunker of the Order of the Def’s Hed.

Interesting project.
Are you wanting data on the Standard Modells that went to China and/or the two orders of actual K98ks (sun firing proof) that were sold to China

Current thread

Just following up on his data request. Appears the poster is fluent in Chinese and has access to Nationalist records.
Bin Shih wrote an excellent book on this "China's Small Arms of the 2nd Sino-Japanese War" (48HrBooks in 2011).

This is some seriously impressive research here guys! Thank you for sharing. I own a 50’s era Chinese produced K98 so I’m interested in the Chinese K98 “angle.”

Sent from my top secret official Bunker of the Order of the Def’s Hed.

Sounds interesting. A few pictures would be a great pleasure.

Interesting project.
Are you wanting data on the Standard Modells that went to China and/or the two orders of actual K98ks (sun firing proof) that were sold to China

I’d like to hear anything related to Mauser China contracts. The top one subject on my list is Chinese Mod07 followed by SM and K98k.

I am doing research on the topic of Mauser-China relationship since 1880s. Read more on my blog:

1. Mauser-China 1880 Contract
https://mausercn.blogspot.com/2019/06/mauser-rifles-sale-to-china-1880-1895.html?m=1

2. A summary of my Mod.07 research
https://mausercn.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-origin-of-chinese-mauser-1907-rifle.html?m=1

I’d like to work with guys who share the same interests.

Last edited:
Just following up on his data request. Appears the poster is fluent in Chinese and has access to Nationalist records.
Bin Shih wrote an excellent book on this "China's Small Arms of the 2nd Sino-Japanese War" (48HrBooks in 2011).

Just received Jon’s document. Appreciate your help.

The first picture of yours clearly states "chilenische Karabiner" what translates als "Chilean Carbines". I doubt this was a typo because if it were proper German it would say "chinesische Karabiner" where the word "chinesische" is clearly different from "chilenische".

Please clarify with Jon Speed to not make this serious research fall over a translation error. It seems to me that Jon caught this wrongly and therefore put a wrong pencil note in the second picture.

Edit: I remember some Mauser Banner Carbines (shorter than the K98k rifle!) in 7x57 caliber that are said to supposedly have been made for China. These ones: https://simpsonltd.com/mauser-1933-standard-modell-carbine/

Last edited:
The first picture of yours clearly states "chilenische Karabiner" what translates als "Chilean Carbines". I doubt this was a typo because if it were proper German it would say "chinesische Karabiner" where the word "chinesische" is clearly different from "chilenische".

Please clarify with Jon Speed to not make this serious research fall over a translation error. It seems to me that Jon caught this wrongly and therefore put a wrong pencil note in the second picture.

Edit: I remember some Mauser Banner Carbines (shorter than the K98k rifle!) in 7x57 caliber that are said to supposedly have been made for China. These ones: https://simpsonltd.com/mauser-1933-standard-modell-carbine/

This passage discusses to assess Chinese contract value. In this case, Mauser Director referenced chilenische Karabiner wage cost as a basis.

Current thread

Correct.

Bruce, In that doc they refer to the orignal cost calculations( For Chile Carbines in 1929-30 period ) that were used to calculate the first 5000 Carlowitz China Standard Models costs etc. Jon

Of course this is correct - I was mainly assuming it was a reading error for the document having no reference to China in it. Maybe Jon can also share more information why he thinks this is the Chinese contract? I'm not saying it isn't, but would be great to know why he thinks it is exactly this one.

Mine are: 2353 c and C 31196. The first is an RC, the second from a batch out of China; has a matching lam stock.

Greetings

T

Update Mar.8.2022: Revised full research https://mausercn.blogspot.com/2021/05/mauser-in-china-last-mauser-china-rifle.html

Hey guys I am doing research on Chinese Mauser rifle. This thread is all about Chinese K98k contract. If you have one, it would be so kind if you are willing to share pictures or any information. Many thanks to Mr. Jon Speed and Mr. Bruce Karem.

Update Mar.8.2022: Revised full research https://mausercn.blogspot.com/2021/05/mauser-in-china-last-mauser-china-rifle.html

Hey guys I am doing research on Chinese Mauser rifle. This thread is all about Chinese K98k contract. If you have one, it would be so kind if you are willing to share pictures or any information. Many thanks to Mr. Jon Speed and Mr. Bruce Karem.
I know this thread is old but I picked up a non matching Chinese contract Mauser 98k. Laminated stock, milled parts, vz24 bolt, barrel is pristine and is a 98 the sights have small waffenamps but is not serialized so someone replaced the barrel at some point and time. This rifle has a slick action and is crazy accurate with my Romanian surplus. Like I said there is not one part matching on this rifle. The receiver and stock have the Mauser logo and the Chinese sun and sn on the receiver. Guy wants to trade even a pristine all matching but the bolt m48a for it. Any opinions or advice...trade or keep.
Thanks

I know this thread is old but I picked up a non matching Chinese contract Mauser 98k. Laminated stock, milled parts, vz24 bolt, barrel is pristine and is a 98 the sights have small waffenamps but is not serialized so someone replaced the barrel at some point and time. This rifle has a slick action and is crazy accurate with my Romanian surplus. Like I said there is not one part matching on this rifle. The receiver and stock have the Mauser logo and the Chinese sun and sn on the receiver. Guy wants to trade even a pristine all matching but the bolt m48a for it. Any opinions or advice...trade or keep.
Thanks
Saw your post on FB. If you like Mauser contract rifles, keep it. Chinese contract is not very rare but M48a is much more common.

Aaron

Military Rifle Journal
Back