Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible 98 b upper handguard - opinions please

Default Possible 98 b upper handguard - opinions please

Last January I purchased a Karab. 98 b which had a few non-Simson parts but the stock and barrel & receiver are all Simson. Many of the stock parts matched. I was told that the rifle was part of the “Albanian hoard.” The hand-guard is, I was told, walnut, worn at the front, and may or may not be from a 98b. I purchased a replacement which was in better condition. The current guard is not a match for the stock color-wise. It is darker.

Before I make the switch and sell the “original” guard, I’d like some opinions on it – is there any way to tell if it is a Simson guard? It has a number stamped on the inside – 3186, but I can see no other markings. The front is worn, cracked and stained. It is otherwise in decent condition. May I have your thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Gerst; 03-30-2021 at 06:12 PM.

There is no way to tell what that hand guard was factory installed on. Could be a Gew. 98, a 98b, or a walnut stocked K98k. They were all the same size
    and seldom marked with anything but a serial number.

If the wear matches the gun I would keep it.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDavis View Post
    I agree with Dave, the wear is important, however if the number font is identical to what's on your stock, or another original Simson stock, that's probably the best indication, although not always definitive.

Default Handguard wear

The only major wear on the guard is the front part, the part ahead of the lower band. As you can see in the pictures, there is dark staining at both ends. There is no such staining on the stock which shows a lot of wear. The guard is much darker than the stock. I donít think that it is original to the stock.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gerst View Post
    The only major wear on the guard is the front part, the part ahead of the lower band. As you can see in the pictures, there is dark staining at both ends. There is no such staining on the stock which shows a lot of wear. The guard is much darker than the stock. I don’t think that it is original to the stock.
    The photos are not very clear and it appears to me that this handguard is WW2 laminated beech and thus could not be an original Simson. If this is true than at best this can only be a WW2 replacement and if so it shouldn't be replaced.
    Gerst, can you help us out here! You're killing me!

Again, I reserve the right to be absolutely incorrect about anything I say on this forum!
    Last edited by swjXE; 03-30-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swjXE View Post
    The photos are not very clear and it appears to me that this handguard is WW2 laminated beech and thus could not be an original Simson. If this is true than at best this can only be a WW2 replacement and if so it shouldn't be replaced.
    Gerst, can you help us out here! You're killing me!

Again, I reserve the right to be absolutely incorrect about anything I say on this forum!
    What makes you say it’s beech? If it isn’t Simson, why would I keep it on my Simson? I’m trying to replace the stuff that isn’t Simson. I’m sure not going to keep a worn out non-matching part. Who knows what the Albanians did with these rifles, or whoever hsd them afterwards.

How do you want me to help you? Here is a closer picture taken outside. It does look laminted on the outside but the inside looks like solid wood. Which is it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gerst; 03-30-2021 at 06:36 PM.

The hand guard should be either solid Walnut or Beech / exactly the same configuration as later used on early 98k rifles.

Find one that matches condition / color of stock wood and go forward.....

The hand guard should be either solid Walnut or Beech / exactly the same configuration as later used on early 98k rifles.

Find one that matches condition / color of stock wood and go forward.....
    The one I just bought is walnut. I think it matches up nicely. So The other one is laminated beech from a 98k, correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gerst; 03-30-2021 at 05:35 PM.

correct .......