Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing

Right! My apologies I meant to say brass!

I have to ask, are these receivers nickel plated? They sure Seem like it but the way it can flake off makes me think it may be something else?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I have to ask, are these receivers nickel plated? They sure Seem like it but the way it can flake off makes me think it may be something else?

Thanks!
    The receivers on most Gew. 98s are simply "in the white" meaning the steel was just polished bright. What is flaking off is probably rust scabs.

Thanks Runner, I wasn’t sure. This is the area that made me think it was plated.

Thanks!
    Brandon

I don't think its been plated.

The stock is the most interesting thing about the rifle, this is the earliest confirmed use of grips and takedown that appears factory. It is also the transition point for how beech stocks are identified, - prior to this range the "B" is smaller and above the cypher, but this is not the earliest use of the new pattern.

Try and do the right side of the receiver (acceptance stamps). Also the wrist or small of the stock there should be a acceptance stamp. Also the stock should be externally serialed, but what you show is proper for this maker and range.

**While it is important to avoid further harm to the metal, it already has gone through a rough cleaning and that seems unavoidable when rust gets this far. The real importance that should be stressed is do nothing to the stock. It looks pretty good and the fact this is a fully matched to stock and bolt makes it worth protecting. It is pretty difficult to find fully matching (factory) G98's, even 1917's which are generally the highest production year, with the highest survival rate (many were not issued and resided in depots, though most "survivors" were probably issued and this is early enough to have been such a case...). Just take care of that stock!

Here you go, I tried to take some photos of the channels inside the stock, both pieces of wood have the full “2232” stamped inside but I can’t get it to photograph well.

Thanks! It’s really neat to know that this is the earliest example of all that!

Brandon

Here is the other matching pieces... don’t know if I missed anything though.

Brandon

Thanks for the extra effort and pictures, very helpful, - all is correct for this maker and range. If you still have it apart, try and get the barrel code, it will be infront of the rear sight and most probably be "Bö" followed by a number, which will probably be high 400's or low 500's (Bö 499 etc...), however it could be a different series of letters and numbers, but so far as research has shown Böhler is the most common supplier to DWM.

** I do think you have a worthwhile rifle, the suggestion that the least that is done is a good one, but preservation is equally needed. I would do nothing to the stock, but keep an eye and periodically oil the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    Thanks for the extra effort and pictures, very helpful, - all is correct for this maker and range. If you still have it apart, try and get the barrel code, it will be infront of the rear sight and most probably be "Bö" followed by a number, which will probably be high 400's or low 500's (Bö 499 etc...), however it could be a different series of letters and numbers, but so far as research has shown Böhler is the most common supplier to DWM.

** I do think you have a worthwhile rifle, the suggestion that the least that is done is a good one, but preservation is equally needed. I would do nothing to the stock, but keep an eye and periodically oil the metal.

Thanks, the lot is a lot higher than expected... though on further examination of trends, there are stray lots this high and higher, before and after (k-block and t-block) but of the 4 barrel codes recorded in the f-block all are around 500-550. Of course this is only interesting to a very few number of people!

Thanks for the extra effort!