Third Party Press

Ordered the Karabiner 98k book, but need to ask a few questions about a 1944 DOU

RaizeR125

Hello all I just bought the book and will be waiting for the book to be delivered, but right now I would greatly appreciate help with my questions about a 1944 DOU K98. I’m looking into buying one. But from what I’ve been reading about them online from older sources is that the stocks had no markings on the outside but usually on the inside, until later date codes. I do not have the serial # but this person has told me the stock has markings behind the take down disc. He also said it’s a Semi-Kreigsmodell so what else should I be looking for?

When I hopefully receive pictures of the rifle and have the all the serial # locations and all of the WaA stamps locations and everything else with a semi-kreigsmodell I will post when I can. Thank you for helping me if you can. It’s much appreciated.

Also, I know it’s a lot to ask for, because of so many variations, so any help will do. Thanks.

Dou stocks at pretty sterile. The they switch over to KM type late in 44 to 45. The do have specific features. Go to the Pic sticky thread and look at examples of dou44 or search dou44 here and look at correct examples.

Dou stocks at pretty sterile. The they switch over to KM type late in 44 to 45. The do have specific features. Go to the Pic sticky thread and look at examples of dou44 or search dou44 here and look at correct examples.

Ok thank you. I will go over all of the pics so I can have atleast some understanding when receiving the pics from the gentleman with k98. Another question, does it seem a little stupid to be diving into DOU 98k’s at the start of me learning these rifles, you can be honest with me. Honestly there seems to be so many different variations in that year and make. Thanks again.

Dou 44 went to the semi kreigsmodell stock (no bayo lug/takedown disc) in the double letter suffix. Bolt proof went from the root to the knob around the same time. No serial number even in the channel and no stamps behind the disc.

As for late dou, I like them although they are very consistent with little variation you see in other manufacturers so may be a little less popular but also easier to to get right

I'd be suspicious of markings behind the takedown discs on a dou and wouldn't buy one without photos at least!:googlie

Last edited:
Thanks for the info @yellowkid

And @swjXE trust me, I’m waiting for pics. I will not drop any money on anything without seeing it with my own two eyes! Hopefully he send them soon, I will try and upload them here when I get them, so you fellas can have a look over. Thanks again.

Ok thank you. I will go over all of the pics so I can have atleast some understanding when receiving the pics from the gentleman with k98. Another question, does it seem a little stupid to be diving into DOU 98k’s at the start of me learning these rifles, you can be honest with me. Honestly there seems to be so many different variations in that year and make. Thanks again.

I don’t think it’s stupid to get into those early, because experience has shown that you have to be prepared when the opportunity arises. There IS some degree of luck in collecting K98 rifles, but keep in mind that luck is actually the intersection of preparedness and opportunity! Thus, each decent K98 you come across, actually ANY intact K98 you come across, deserves a look. Many outstanding rifles have been found in odd ways or unlikely circumstances, but far more significant rifles have been found by prepared collectors ready to examine every rifle they see and ready to evaluate it as it is presented, not by a story. So I say, it’s as good a place as any to dive in!! :)

Sent from my top secret official Bunker of the Order of the Def’s Hed.

I don’t think it’s stupid to get into those early, because experience has shown that you have to be prepared when the opportunity arises. There IS some degree of luck in collecting K98 rifles, but keep in mind that luck is actually the intersection of preparedness and opportunity! Thus, each decent K98 you come across, actually ANY intact K98 you come across, deserves a look. Many outstanding rifles have been found in odd ways or unlikely circumstances, but far more significant rifles have been found by prepared collectors ready to examine every rifle they see and ready to evaluate it as it is presented, not by a story. So I say, it’s as good a place as any to dive in!! :)

Sent from my top secret official Bunker of the Order of the Def’s Hed.

Well said, and thanks. It’s just going to take a while for me to get a firm grip on deciphering these rifles. Then once I can, it’s all about luck for me. Because I live in an area where it’s next to impossible to find C&R rifles and pistols. So I have to do most of my looking online, and there lies the issue of not being able to see the rifle in person. Hopefully the one I’m looking at now, (I haven’t actually seen it yet) will be proper. But after reading everywhere, including here, and seeing pictures that the DOU 1944 rifle stocks early and late year, pretty much have nothing on the outside of them, I may have to pass on that one. But, I’m still waiting on pictures. I’ll call today and remind them. Have a good one!

.....Another question, does it seem a little stupid to be diving into DOU 98k’s at the start of me learning these rifles, you can be honest with me. .....

There's nothing unique about dou for a newbie..... All K98s (plus Lugers, P.38s, trainers, Arisakas, Nambus, M1s) present uncertainly to the inexperienced....

Military Rifle Journal
Back