Third Party Press

Armorers spare parts - considered "correct" or not

bob32268

Was talking to some other Forum members on the subject of an armorers spare marked safety. I was asked if I considered them
to be correct. I always did but i wonder how other Forum members feel about this issue. Parts on a Kar 98k can break or malfunction
get damaged or get lost (entire bolt). A rear area armorer corrects the issue with spare parts and sends the rifle back up to the
front line troops to use again. Yes, the replaced parts are not the ones it left the factory with but they are not mis-matched numbered
ones either. Mostly, I'm talking about spare parts marked S/42 or byf other factory coded spares.
How do you guys look upon this?
Tks,
Bob32268

Armorers spares

I have had multiple Banner rifles with the safeties replaced.
Seems more prevalent on that series than regular K98ks.

Both S/42 and depot marked examples.

Well I will say this. Im new to this Kar98 and milsurp world. But to me personally I think they tell a interesting story. Or atleast have the potential for a really neat story. My Erma bolt has a S/42 spare extractor. To me in my mind that tells me it was damaged somewhere in the field or by the solider himself (just using my imagination, but its possible). But as far as collecting wise and a money value. I have no idea, im still learning how to properly value these things from all of you beautiful people.

Military Rifle Journal
Back