Third Party Press

gambled on gunbroker and am pleasantly surprised

mrfarb....here's some additional photos.

the repair is quite shallow...it looks like it's only a couple layers of laminate. the checks in the grain near the repair makes me wonder if there was a large knot in the surface layer.

At first the repair looked like it wasn't worth doing because the stock would be too weak, but since it's only a couple of layers thick I think it's a legit period repair.:thumbsup:

You can't even get a Russian capture for that price tag! Wow just wow big congratulations to you buddy. Deals like that don't happen very often nowadays. Especially on rare rifles.

The auction only had 4 marginal photos but the description said everything matched with the exception of the bolt. Since it was listed as a 7mm, i thought it'd likely be a parts rifle and so I bid accordingly. Got the rifle today and it looks like a winner!

If you thought it was a parts rifle you didn't gamble, but you definitely had a great luck on this one! It looks to be in really good condition as well.

Any chances that you are going to remove the stock to show us the SSZZA4 stamp fully? Re the bolt, funny to see the letters stamped with different font size dies. Which acceptance does it have on underside?

Edit: noticed extractor collar has Eagle 37 acceptance and possibly a scripted letter under the bolt serial, tough to tell with that grease and oil over it. A Sauer bolt (body)?

deal of the century for sure.. Add one zero and that's about its real value Id say... The stock to me looks like there was a knot in the wood or something on the outer skin and you can see where it was running up to the repair.
They took the outer layer off and repaired it.. This stock was probably tossed at the factory level but used at the depot level im sure.. Made my day seeing it.

Deal? Gunbroker? Can those two words possibly be used in the same sentence?

Yes. I scored a matching byf44 P-38 with original softshell holster for $300 because the photos were poor and the seller mistook the phosphate finish as having no bluing remaining and said the holster was not real.

Yes. I scored a matching byf44 P-38 with original softshell holster for $300 because the photos were poor and the seller mistook the phosphate finish as having no bluing remaining and said the holster was not real.

The opposite of the carnival barking, lying scoundrels and all their hyperbole wherein you blow your own auction with all your misinformation! Seems insane but it does happen. :facepalm:

The opposite of the carnival barking, lying scoundrels and all their hyperbole wherein you blow your own auction with all your misinformation! Seems insane but it does happen. :facepalm:

An uninformed seller can cost himself just as much as an uninformed buyer.. Point in case with this rifle or the p38...

Military Rifle Journal
Back