Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matching vs mismatch price diff

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmauser View Post
    Sorry did not realize or forgot that was a no no. Was it ok to post a picture of K98 markings? That is gone too.
    posting of pictures from an auction is OK, just don't link them to it.

I'm speaking of the stock.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I'm speaking of the stock.
    I figured as much after thinking about it.

Well I just bought that k98 for $1200. I was the only bidder. Its nice looking but non matching on bolt and buttplate. I just really like the deep triple imprints of the early models. I'll keep looking for a full matching but this will be my shooter K98. And it came with a sling which many don't

If you look at that front barrel band it almost looks like its made of brass. Could be just the lighting. Were any made of brass?

pix913327345.jpg
    pix323202482.jpg
    pix772082574.jpg
    pix779482735.jpg
    pix074324788.jpg
    pix819642716.jpg
    pix465454775.jpg
    Last edited by Bobmauser; 04-06-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Rule of thumb is the hierarchy goes All matching, bolt MM, stock MM, both MM. But there is still something of a floor. These days any complete, functional non-sporterized K98 in shootable condition is worth probably $500-600 even as to a reenactor. RCs are going for more than that, and it goes up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    Rule of thumb is the hierarchy goes All matching, bolt MM, stock MM, both MM. But there is still something of a floor. These days any complete, functional non-sporterized K98 in shootable condition is worth probably $500-600 even as to a reenactor. RCs are going for more than that, and it goes up from there.
    Thanks! Not sure what RCs are.

In 2021 seems the floor has been raised some on the old guns. In past two months prices jumped. I wish I got it for 600.00 just have not seen any decent ones for that price in awhile. Do you think 1200 was a bit high? Don't worry its ok, I just liked the marking on that particular rifle even though the parts did not all match.

Agree if they put a plastic stock and scope on a K98 I have zero interest, just does not seem right to me.

Does the Year factor much into this? The 1944s and 1945s even if matching just do not appeal as much to me with the stamped parts and welding of the barrel bands. But they do seem to get a high price even though the were not built to the same standards as the early models.

Early war, mid war, late war, it is really just personal preference. I personally like the prewar and early war dates 1934 to 1940. But they are hard to find in good condition as most saw field use. Some folks specialize in the late war guns. Quite a few variations near the end. And they can be found matching and in great condition as some were liberated from storage prior to being issued. The best condition K98ks I have are all
    bnz 45s. I doubt any of them saw combat.

The above are just generalizations. A very early Sauer double band spring rifle matching, even if in rough condition would bring a premium ( at least to me) due to low numbers and low survival rate. Then their are snipers and SS guns, which I don't follow at all and are a minefield for fakes.

RCs are Russian Captures a bunch of them got imported a few years back, they are import marks, wood stocks are covered with shellac, and they have this black Russian paint on the metal parts with an X on the receiver.

I'm personally a fan of late war guns I like those cost cutting features.