Third Party Press
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lazy S deaths head research

Quote Originally Posted by Absolut View Post
    Two thoughts that came to me...

- the stock stamp: those with Lazy S DH on the stock are ALWAYS also Lazy S DH stamped on the barrel. But the number of those seem to be very small. This would speak towards a very limited time frame where this was done. Could be interesting to compare the firing proof dates of rifles that have the Lazy S DH ONLY on them to maybe limit their time frame a bit more.
    I don't know. I think a reason you only see the Lazy S on a few stocks is that the rifles were pretty much all reworked again. Stocks were probably sanded after conversion to the K98k pattern, and maybe the DH was reapplied at the wrist. I think the "Lazy S" acceptance was in use at least 1936-1938 or 1939.

- we had considered the barrel stamp stamps to possibly be for Suhl companies which possibly performed the conversion on behalf of the SS. Such as the Star symbol, or HW for Hermann Weihrauch. If we are to assume the SS had the rifles converted by a company, wouldn't the same companies that marked the rifles also mark the pistols with their stamp? I searched mine but couldn't find anything similar/comparable. The "3" on bottom of the barrel of mine I guess is something else. Ryan, can you detail check your pistol if you find any marking that is atypical? Maybe even under the grips.
    While the SS could have farmed these out, its also possible the shoulder marking is the company that supplied the SS with the barrels. Either cutting them down or making new barrels, I haven't looked that closely at it. Do any of the Erma or Steyr supplied K98k barrels have these markings? I can't recall seeing one except maybe the star and those weren't on the shoulder.

I don't recall any unusual markings on mine, but I will check it again.

Quote Originally Posted by rockisle1903 View Post
    +1000. Legitimate commercial proofed ex-army pistols are tough. Commonly found in police Lugers. I will post pics later.
    A legitimate Weimar commercial proofed ex-army police pistol....Notice the ROLLMARKED 1920, not sure when they were done...But it does show typical SS luger proofing, in a police pistol...Does have the sear safety and is all matching to include holster...Sorry for the mixed up photos, but you get the point
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very interesting. Searches turn up a few more of these Leipzig Schupo guns and they look exactly like this one. Commercially proofed (identically) with cancelled Sächsische Landessicherheitspolizei markings.

Seems a lot of these police units had their own way of doing things.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post
    I don't know. I think a reason you only see the Lazy S on a few stocks is that the rifles were pretty much all reworked again. Stocks were probably sanded after conversion to the K98k pattern, and maybe the DH was reapplied at the wrist. I think the "Lazy S" acceptance was in use at least 1936-1938 or 1939.
    Do you think they were actually sanded to the new shape? I could almost imagine cutting both ends to fit a standard K98 panto is which case it would only remove any 'excess' material and then it could be final sanded. Just spitballing.

While the SS could have farmed these out, its also possible the shoulder marking is the company that supplied the SS with the barrels. Either cutting them down or making new barrels, I haven't looked that closely at it. Do any of the Erma or Steyr supplied K98k barrels have these markings? I can't recall seeing one except maybe the star and those weren't on the shoulder.

I don't recall any unusual markings on mine, but I will check it again.
    If I'm reading your question right, Mike posted an early Erma ordinance spare built on a '36 Dohlen blank in post #2. Double Lazy S overstamped.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Do you think they were actually sanded to the new shape? I could almost imagine cutting both ends to fit a standard K98 panto is which case it would only remove any 'excess' material and then it could be final sanded. Just spitballing.
    I just mean when the "SS pattern" Gew98s (short rifles with Gew98 stock features) were later modified at Dachau to the K98k pattern by adding the bandspring and bolt cutouts, the stocks were sanded in the process and the TK restamped on the wrist. Possibly why you don't see many of the Lazy S stock inspections. By the time they were reworking these to K98k, the Lazy S acceptance seems to have been retired.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    If I'm reading your question right, Mike posted an early Erma ordinance spare built on a '36 Dohlen blank in post #2. Double Lazy S overstamped.
    I'm talking about the small TS, FS, HW, etc. that is stamped on the collar, not the Lazy S.

Thanks for the clarifications Ryan. This is certainly a deep dive.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Ryan, had you considered trying to get ahold of the guy who posted the DH Luger on Lugerforums.com where he had claimed it was a bringback from his father?

Ryan, had you considered trying to get ahold of the guy who posted the DH Luger on Lugerforums.com where he had claimed it was a bringback from his father?
    Not really. He never mentioned any papers and I think he would have if he had any.

I don't trust papers (even the real ones) anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

One more fake for the stack, though I know I don't really have to point this one out. Its just so bad that I can't believe whoever made this stamp used it more than once.
    Attached Images Attached Images

..Its just so bad that I can't believe whoever made this stamp used it more than once.
    Yeah that's bad. Probably the worst (and most cartoonish) one I've ever seen.