Third Party Press

Thread: Matching, but abused 1915 DWM

Default Matching, but abused 1915 DWM

This one came in the same lot as the Standard Modell that I posted in the Weimar section. It appears to be all matching, but someone just had to modify the bolt. I can't actually ID the Sn on the bolt root, but with all other bolt parts matching, including the extractor, I gotta believe the bolt body did as well,,,before it was "improved. Edit: just noticed FP is not matching

The Sn inside the hand guard is faint, but it is present. I can't really make out a SN in the barrel channel, but the one on the stock exterior is clear and looks good to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by runner; 04-07-2021 at 11:49 PM.

And now for the gruesome bolt photos

In the same lot as the above Gew. 98 and the SM I posted earlier, I also got a mostly matching byf 42, all matching but the bands, in a walnut stock. A matching metal G24/t that appears to be in a straight up VZ-24 stock, and another SM that is matching but bolt. So much for my self promise to downsize. As time permits I will post them for comments, as I doubt I will keep the byf or the G24/t and I want to be sure I have not overlooked something. The faked G24/t that was posted on the forum earlier has me concerned, as they are certainly not my area of expertise.

Oh that poor bolt. But still, a nice rifle. The bolt fireproof is obscured by the bending, but you can see the eagles feet. The c/B acceptance that is visible matches the rest of the Gew. Shame a matching bolt was sporterized like that. Other than that it looks right. The stock’s barrel channel was not serialed by DWM in 1915.

Quote Originally Posted by PrayingMantis View Post
    Oh that poor bolt. But still, a nice rifle. The bolt fireproof is obscured by the bending, but you can see the eagles feet. The c/B acceptance that is visible matches the rest of the Gew. Shame a matching bolt was sporterized like that. Other than that it looks right. The stock’s barrel channel was not serialed by DWM in 1915.

Thanks for the information on the barrel channel SN or lack thereof, I had assumed the channels wee always numbered. The information sharing is what makes this forum tops in its class.

I agree, this was (is) the original bolt, a real shame there... Although DWM went to the z-block in 1915, any 1915 in, or near, factory condition is pretty difficult to locate. I found the stock acceptance the most interesting and I look forward to running it against trends... but again not too many stock matchers are probably documented, fewer still thoroughly documented.

**I just trended it and it is right for the stock, 4515 c is identical for the most part. Here is 4515/c bolt flat, this is clearly the original bolt body.
    Last edited by Loewe; 04-09-2021 at 07:34 PM.

It appears to me that the bolt was not bent but cut and welded. There seems to be a color line in the steel where dissimilar material was used as a filler. The profile and nature of the work is very similar to that on sporters made from G98 rifles after WWI. I suspect that this mod was done in that period.